Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,549   Online: 896

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Medallist II questions

Just got a Medallist II. A helpful person on photo.net emailed me a Medallist ('plain', not II) manual.

Can someone please tell me :

1) M-F slider on front, apparently for choice of flash sync (that's why not in plain Medallist manual, no flash sync on that one)...looks like spring-loaded pin, but I can't figure out how to move it. How?

2) How much force does manual shutter-cocking lever by view/rangefinder take to operate? (Normally shutter is cocked by winding. Manual cocking is for multiple exposures, per manual).

3) How if film flatness with this camera compared to folders?

4) Why is there so little info about Medallists? Were they dropped for the Retinas and the 35 mm trend?

Thank you

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole

Old Ansco 620 question

Say, anyone know what variety of Ansco 620 Pan film had black paper & silver writing, came in silver foil wrap?

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Murray, drop me a note on my personal e-mail, and I can e-mail you a copy of the Medalist II manual.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some comments:

1) M-F slider on front, apparently for choice of flash sync (that's why not in plain Medallist manual, no flash sync on that one)...looks like spring-loaded pin, but I can't figure out how to move it. How?
    You move it after the shutter is tensioned, if I recall.

2) How much force does manual shutter-cocking lever by view/rangefinder take to operate? (Normally shutter is cocked by winding. Manual cocking is for multiple exposures, per manual).
    It takes moderate force to manually tension the shutter. This is normal. It's like trying to tension a Compur shutter that is set to its maximum speed.

3) How if film flatness with this camera compared to folders?
    Pretty darn good, as I recall.

4) Why is there so little info about Medallists? Were they dropped for the Retinas and the 35 mm trend?
    This was considered the studio camera and cost quite a bit of money for that time (around $250, I believe, which was a tremendous amount of money in the 1940s). The Medalist series was replaced by the Chevron -- another big, heavy camera. Pure speculation: Possibly they didn't survive because you could buy German cameras that weighed less, cost less, were easier to operate and didn't trap you into Kodak 620 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The medalist was a prized camera by many a pro in its hey day, I have owned several of them, never had the owners manual, and they have some darn good glass on them and take fantastic images, respool some good quality chrome film onto a 620 reel and take some test shots, you will be amazed at the quality of the image. I am sorry I sold my last one, but there is a young lady in Japan that is thrilled with it, she quite often sends images she took and swears she will go to the grave with it.

Have fun.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's another happy Medalist user.

Mine takes fantastic photos. It's the oldest, cheapest camera I own. Got lucky, an Ebay sale that didn't attract a single bid. The seller was nearby, Ebay photo looked good, so I emailed the seller (was actually a re-seller, for a private party) and asked if I could have a look at it. They agreed, I liked what I saw, and offered $100.

Everything works on mine, but focus is stiff below 40F, so I figure it needs a CLA. Probably never been apart. I just don't use it in the cold for now, but love it everywhere else. Optics are awesome.

Only downside - it feels too modern. I own a couple of Rollei TLRs, and those are fun and different to use, and tend to attract questions. The Medalist looks merely like a great big 35mm SLR, and people ignore it.

Oh, and it's heavy. And shutter release button requires a really firm push. Re-spooling 120 film onto 620 spools is a minor hassle locally, but might be a big enough bother that I wouldn't take the Medalist on a month-long motorcycle trip to Alaska, for instance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a Medalist II for a while. I always regret selling it. The lens on that thing was amazing.

I will buy another one someday. Preferably one converted for 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember right, Bald Mountain does a conversion on the Medalist I and the Medalist II, but it was not a cheap conversion, it was something north of $300 bucks to get one converted, I just learned how to re-spool 120 on the 620 reel, I was pretty good, I could do it in about 30 seconds...and again, the lens on the II was nothing short of amazing.

Dave

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Mike E - thanks, someone gave me an online link to II manual.

I think I can live with respooling...I only paid $65 (sorry, not gloating, just weighing $250-300 for conversion [hopefully includes CLA] against hand-rolling and how long it takes me to shoot a roll.

I guess I'll just have to try it out. I don't know what an 'amazing' lens produces compared to 'ok', or for example, a Japanese SLR. It would help if I pointed it at some respectable subject matter.

I have a bunch of Series VI stuff...some of the filters look like they are separating from the glass layers (gel between 2 layers of glass?) - it's probably wishful thinking to keep them for anything other than the aluminum rings. Maybe an adapter to use modern 49 mm filters over a Series VI screw-in would do it justice.

I should try a close-up lens instead of assuming they'll insult the Ektar...I hoard them but haven't ever tried them (I guess you need a measuring tape for follow-through when the impulse strikes...)

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    If I remember right, Bald Mountain does a conversion on the Medalist I and the Medalist II, but it was not a cheap conversion, it was something north of $300 bucks to get one converted, I just learned how to re-spool 120 on the 620 reel, I was pretty good, I could do it in about 30 seconds...and again, the lens on the II was nothing short of amazing.

Dave
    I seem to recall it's now close to $500. I can justify a CLA, but it takes me a lot of re-spooling to make up that $500.

Murray, Holland MI...? I'm supposing that a trip to the Silver Lake area would produce good subjects, or Grand Rapids Meijer Gardens. Must be some other neat stuff along Michigan's west coast.

$65? Man, I thought I did good at $100. One of the publications (McKeowns?) listed a value far higher than that - IIRC around $300 or more. Don't have the info in front of me, though.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin