Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,872   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Yaschica 12 question

Hi
    I just bought a Yaschica 12 on Ebay for my 16 yr old son. I want to test it out before I give it to him as a Christmas gift. The camera does not have a manual. Does anyone know where I could find a manual on line. Also, does anyone know what type of battery this camera uses?
    Thanks!!
    Nancy

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find a manual for the 24, 124 or the 124G, the camera is essentially the same except for being unable to handle 220. Frankly, a manual for almost any TLR will get you most of the way there. I learned to shoot with a TLR (Argoflex EM) when I was 11, and still haven't read a manual for that or any other one. IIRC the battery is one of the old mercury cells, so you need to use zinc-air cells or an adapter. I use a hand held meter with mine, or just look at the shadows and sky. Good choice. I picked up one for a friend a few years back and she has been happy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try here for a 124 manual, which should be almost identical to your 12. I have a Yashica 12 at home, but don't have a manual for it.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah! I knew I had a link somewhere. Here is the link to a 124 manual, which as stated above will be very much like your 12

http://mikec62.tripod.com/manuals.html

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you so much for the information on the battery and the link to the manual. The link to the manual was a huge help. I ran an old roll of film through the camera just to get the hang of loading it, etc. The roll of film was packed with the camera and was from 1989. My only problem was that it got stuck at the end of the roll and wouldn't come off the spool without me opening up the camera. I just loaded a roll of TriX and will test the camera out this weekend. I'll use my hand held meter and will forgo the battery at this time. I want to make sure the camera works properly before giving it to my son. Putting the empty spool in the uptake area is tricky. I think that will take some practice. Hopefully, I will be able top post a few photos from this weekend. Thanks a million for your help!!!
    Nancy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I usually use a hand-held meter with all my older cameras. It can be a pain in the butt at times, but poorly exposed negatives are a bigger pain. Good luck with the camera, and congratulations on your decision to givie your son a gift that inspires creativity.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I usually use a hand-held meter with all my older cameras. It can be a pain in the butt at times, but poorly exposed negatives are a bigger pain. Good luck with the camera, and congratulations on your decision to givie your son a gift that inspires creativity.

- Randy
    You could always rig some kind of shoe-mounted flash since most of the yashicas do have a cold-shoe on the top left side of the camera.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Again, thank you all for you help!
    I ran a roll of TriX through the camera. I used my hand held meter and was very pleased with the images the camera produced! I can't wait to give this to my son on Christmas! There are a couple of things that are going to take some practice though.
    1. Popping the film spool holder into the take up area. I don't know why, but this was very awkward for me.
    2. The focus screen is very dim. I'm use to a nice bright Bronica screen.
    Has anyone ever replaced the screen on their Yaschica? Probably not a big deal for my son, because he has young eyes. My eyes are not what they use to be!
    Here's an image from the roll of TriX that I ran through the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yashica TLR screen

I have not replaced the screen before, but I've taken these beasties apart plenty of times. After all these years it may well need a good cleaning. I would try cleaning the ground glass & fresnel lens first, that usually brightens things up a bit.

You can clean the ground glass and fresnel lens in warm water, perhaps with a touch of soap but make sure you rinse it well. Don't scrub either piece. The fresnel lens in particular is prone to scratching, just rinse it off well and pat dry with a soft towel.

The mirror may be dirty as well. Be VERY careful cleaning that. A light wipe with a dampened piece of lens paper held with tweezers is ok - remember this is a 1st-surface mirror so you don't want to rub it as the silver can come off. If the mirror is found to be bad you can replace it with one out of a Polaroid camera, the type where the film comes out the front.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Giroux View Post
    ... Has anyone ever replaced the screen on their Yaschica? Probably not a big deal for my son, because he has young eyes. My eyes are not what they use to be!
    Here's an image from the roll of TriX that I ran through the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow..thanks so much for the detailed description on how to clean the camera.
    It's a lovely little camera!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin