Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,507   Online: 847

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old Hassey B-50 filter question

Hello everyone…

As this is my first post on this forum, I’ll combine a very brief profile with my question.

I’ve been shooting film for almost 50 years. Used Agfa, (the old AgfaPan25, AgfaPan100 film emulsions, the old Rodinal formula, Portriga and Brovira). Also used Kodak (Pan-X, Tech-Pan, Plus-X, Azo, Kodabromide, EktaLure, Fine Art paper), you know all the good stuff that’s not available anymore!

I now use Ilford (PanF-Plus, FP-4Plus), it’s good don’t get me wrong, but I miss the good old Agfa and Kodak days.

I shoot both 35mm and medium format. I use a Nikon Ftn, (meter stopped working years ago), with manual focus AI and even older non-AI Nikon lenses (85mm and 105mm are my work horses), an old Hassey 500 C/M, (you know when it was called a 500 C/M and not the 500 Classic!), a black T* B-50 “C” 80mm (that’s the new kid on the block), and chrome B-63mm “C” 50mm and B-50 150mm chrome “C” lenses. Tons of filters, my favorites are the Softars (which is the point of the following question) lens hoods, shades, lots of other goodies. Numerous magazines 6x6 and 6x645, 120, 220, Polaroid, even “superslide”. Wouldn’t leave home without my Gossen Luna-Pro-F and my Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spot meter. Used to do darkroom work (Beseler 23CII with Dual DichroHead, along with tons of other stuff), but now with the lack of space and room, I send it out to custom labs in NYC. Enough of the profile and now for the question…

For those who do shoot with the older Hasselblad, specifically the B-50 or B-57 mount and have used the old Softar diffusers, I think you will agree they are probably the best diffusion filters on the market (then and now!). Yes they were made of plastic and if you looked at them funny they would scratch, let alone trying to clean them, but they were the best.

OK, here’s the question… drum roll please…

Does anyone know if anyone out there makes the following step-ring (up, down, or even sidewise for all I care) that would allow me to use the B-50 (B-57) Softars on the 52mm Nikon lenses. I know and have the step-rings to use 52mm Nikon filters on the Hassey lenses, but its the other way around that I’m hoping to achieve.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Ira Rush
    irush@msn.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira Rush View Post
    Hello everyone…

As this is my first post on this forum, I’ll combine a very brief profile with my question.

I’ve been shooting film for almost 50 years. Used Agfa, (the old AgfaPan25, AgfaPan100 film emulsions, the old Rodinal formula, Portriga and Brovira). Also used Kodak (Pan-X, Tech-Pan, Plus-X, Azo, Kodabromide, EktaLure, Fine Art paper), you know all the good stuff that’s not available anymore!

I now use Ilford (PanF-Plus, FP-4Plus), it’s good don’t get me wrong, but I miss the good old Agfa and Kodak days.

I shoot both 35mm and medium format. I use a Nikon Ftn, (meter stopped working years ago), with manual focus AI and even older non-AI Nikon lenses (85mm and 105mm are my work horses), an old Hassey 500 C/M, (you know when it was called a 500 C/M and not the 500 Classic!), a black T* B-50 “C” 80mm (that’s the new kid on the block), and chrome B-63mm “C” 50mm and B-50 150mm chrome “C” lenses. Tons of filters, my favorites are the Softars (which is the point of the following question) lens hoods, shades, lots of other goodies. Numerous magazines 6x6 and 6x645, 120, 220, Polaroid, even “superslide”. Wouldn’t leave home without my Gossen Luna-Pro-F and my Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spot meter. Used to do darkroom work (Beseler 23CII with Dual DichroHead, along with tons of other stuff), but now with the lack of space and room, I send it out to custom labs in NYC. Enough of the profile and now for the question…

For those who do shoot with the older Hasselblad, specifically the B-50 or B-57 mount and have used the old Softar diffusers, I think you will agree they are probably the best diffusion filters on the market (then and now!). Yes they were made of plastic and if you looked at them funny they would scratch, let alone trying to clean them, but they were the best.

OK, here’s the question… drum roll please…

Does anyone know if anyone out there makes the following step-ring (up, down, or even sidewise for all I care) that would allow me to use the B-50 (B-57) Softars on the 52mm Nikon lenses. I know and have the step-rings to use 52mm Nikon filters on the Hassey lenses, but its the other way around that I’m hoping to achieve.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Ira Rush
    irush@msn.com
    Ira; I think the adaptor you are looking for is a Series VIII to 52mm. I think series VIII is correct and I have such a beast. I am not at home right now and would have to check the series number. I am not sure they are still made but I picked mine up in a junk bin at a camera store.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Ira; I think the adaptor you are looking for is a Series VIII to 52mm. I think series VIII is correct and I have such a beast. I am not at home right now and would have to check the series number. I am not sure they are still made but I picked mine up in a junk bin at a camera store.

Mike
    Oops little late and I made a silly mistake got the numbers reversed - it should read 52mm to Series VIII

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't find a 52mm thread to Bay 50 adapter anywhere...

...but I am cleaning (gently) my set of Bay 50 Softars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check B&H Photo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use 60Bay to 67mm adapters regulary. I would *imagine* Tiffen or B&W make 50Bay to ...?mm adapters as well. Google "Tiffen Filters" and see what happens.
    Or ... [ http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/rings.html ]
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to the many who responded to this post.
    Sorry if I made users read more than was necessary. It was my 1st post and I was just trying to introduce myself.
    Future posts will be more to the point.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira Rush View Post
    ... Sorry if I made users read more than was necessary. It was my 1st post and I was just trying to introduce myself.
    No problem. None whatsoever!

Hello, and welcome!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ira - I very much enjoyed reading your introduction. I use a "newer" Nikon (pre-AI F2), Hass 500CM, 4X5 Graphic, and other assorted old junk. And I bemoan the demise of Azo and Verichrome Pan.
    I did a bit of looking around online, and I can't find the type of adapter you are talking about - 52mm male threads on the lens side and Bay 50 female on the filter side, right? I've considered taking the glass out of an old Bay 50 filter and epoxying it to a 52mm step-up ring. I've also attached filters to lenses with a wide rubber band, when I didn't have the right size step ring, although it never seems very secure. If you find a source for the 52 to B50, please let us know.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin