Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 793

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pardon the response, but we are talking about a question not unlike "do I need to buy a minivan or a pickup truck?" then talking about which will win a formula one race. Your response is unnecessarily defensive and is quite a rude approach to negating my opinion.

nyoung: It is good that you have settled on a format. I think it is generally agreed that both cameras are capable of first class results. I have seen stunning work made with both cameras in capable hands. Beyond that, think about your need to shoot multiple film types and whether leaf shutters and revolving back are worth the extra bulk. You haven't mentioned a budget but both cameras are extremely affordable these days.

Beyond that, if there is any way you can "test drive" the cameras, that will be worth more to you than the gear-obsessive's advice around here. How naturally I interact with a camera plays a big part in how well and often I use it. There are so many variables that nobody can tell YOU which will be the best.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going for the RB because of the multiple/rotating backs - the primary reason for my earlier fling with the speed graphic. Interesting that a poster mentioned air work, as I had forgotten about a guy I knew some 20 years ago who paid for a Cessna 172 by flying around with the left door off shooting an RB and selling prints their homes to the local farmer/ranchers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Pardon the response, but we are talking about a question not unlike "do I need to buy a minivan or a pickup truck?" then talking about which will win a formula one race. Your response is unnecessarily defensive and is quite a rude approach to negating my opinion.

nyoung: It is good that you have settled on a format. I think it is generally agreed that both cameras are capable of first class results. I have seen stunning work made with both cameras in capable hands. Beyond that, think about your need to shoot multiple film types and whether leaf shutters and revolving back are worth the extra bulk. You haven't mentioned a budget but both cameras are extremely affordable these days.

Beyond that, if there is any way you can "test drive" the cameras, that will be worth more to you than the gear-obsessive's advice around here. How naturally I interact with a camera plays a big part in how well and often I use it. There are so many variables that nobody can tell YOU which will be the best.
    Pardon another question, but I presume your answer to my first question is "Neither"? I have owned and used RB67 for years, as I made clear, I have far less experience of Pentax 67 (just a few hours with a borrowed [non-mirror-up] example), and I can tell you that the relative vibration levels (and resulting problems with slow speeds with the Pentax, even on a tripod, unless you re-engineer it by attaching a huge additional mass) were a major factor in my deciding to buy a Mamiya rather than a Pentax. If you think I was misguided to do so, you're welcome to your opinion, even if it apparently has no basis whatsoever in your own experience. Am I undermining the credibility of your opinion? No, you are!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Pentax 67s for about 12 years both professionally and personally. I own 3. My favoritre lens is the 135 macro. it is tack sharp and has excellent contrast. I once did a shoot where I used the 67 and a hassy. It wasn't my hassy, but the client asked me to use his as well as my equipment. The 135 macro was sharper with better color than the hassy lens. I don't remember what it was. I do know that the Asashi was brand new and the Hassy lens was about 15 years old.
    Before switching to the 67s, I used an RB for about 5 years. It too was an excellent camera. The best feature was the removable backs. I shot in the studio, and a polaroid back was essential. It was slower though.
    The pentax is great, but you really can't handhold it in the field. I used a heavy duty bogen tripod and never had a problem with it. Even when I didn't use the mirror lock. In the studio with strobe, I hand hold it all the time. no problems there.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've shot with both. I owned an RB for many years and assisted guys shooting Pentax. I recently had a chance to buy a Pentax cheap here in NJ, and thought about it, but just wasn't interested.

I much prefer the RB (and the RZ, even more) for the following reasons:

leaf shutter syncs with strobe at any speed
    wider range of lenses in Mamiya
    choice of finders
    film backs to allow fast reload and mid-roll film change
    ease of hand holding steadily the Mamiya
    rental gear more available for Mamiya than Pentax
    anecdotally, I've heard more failure issues with Pentax than Mamiya (but I have no personal experience with failure)

YMMV
    Neal
    Last edited by wilsonneal; 12-15-2006 at 10:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add another benefit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an RB67. The biggest deciding factor was that the RB67 is cheaper than the Pentax, but I also kinda liked some of the design decisions behind the RB.

The Mamiya is handholdable, if you've got the arm strength to hold it.

Also, I find that I love the waist level finder so much that I haven't thought about getting a prism.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no real experience with the Pentax so I won't comment on it other than to say a friend of mine has the Pentax 67 and he loves it. I have an RB ProS and I love it. The reasons I chose the RB is because I already had a Mamiya 645 1000s that I really like so I already had a positive experience with Mamiya. I like the fact that I can change backs in mid roll and I like the heft of it (I use a metered prism with mine so it's pretty big/heavy).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    I've shot with both. I owned an RB for many years and assisted guys shooting Pentax. I recently had a chance to buy a Pentax cheap here in NJ, and thought about it, but just wasn't interested.

I much prefer the RB (and the RZ, even more) for the following reasons:

leaf shutter syncs with strobe at any speed
    wider range of lenses in Mamiya
    choice of finders
    film backs to allow fast reload and mid-roll film change
    ease of hand holding steadily the Mamiya
    rental gear more available for Mamiya than Pentax
    anecdotally, I've heard more failure issues with Pentax than Mamiya (but I have no personal experience with failure)

YMMV
    Neal
    Just some comments concerning your comparison:
    1. Lenses with leaf shutters are avaiable (or at least used to be) for the pentax
    2. There is still quite a wide range of lenses available. More than I think you would ever need
    3. Several finders are available waist level would be one of them
    4. I've shot with 67s for many years and never had one fail. Although, I dropped a few, picked them up and kept shooting.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    <<4. I've shot with 67s for many years and never had one fail.>>

Either you're very lucky or I'm very unlucky. I've owned three of the 67s and each has suffered the dreaded fozen advance-lever problem ...including a P67II bought brand new ($350 repair bill). Yes, the lenses are sharp and the vibration issues are over-stated (and easily gotten around) but in my opinion the cameras are an engineering disaster. I'd recommend anyone staying away from them.

Sorry, but that's from my own expensive, unfortunate and truly miserable experience with them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    <<4. I've shot with 67s for many years and never had one fail.>>

Either you're very lucky or I'm very unlucky. I've owned three of the 67s and each has suffered the dreaded fozen advance-lever problem ...including a P67II bought brand new ($350 repair bill). Yes, the lenses are sharp and the vibration issues are over-stated (and easily gotten around) but in my opinion the cameras are an engineering disaster. I'd recommend anyone staying away from them.

Sorry, but that's from my own expensive, unfortunate and truly miserable experience with them...
    I'm not sure if I'm very lucky or that you have been very unlucky. I have 3 bodies and I've worked them pretty hard. One I got new, and the other 2 I purchased used. Most recently an old Honeywell with a prism.
    In my opinion, these cameras are far from an engineering disaster. They are work horses. I've never experienced the dreaded frozen advance lever. I've never heard of it actually. My recommendation would be the opposite of yours. Especially now, when you can get a used one fairly cheap.

Sorry your experience was so bad.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin