Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,998   Online: 693

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya ProTL Problems... HELP

My Mamiya 645 ProTL started doing a very curious thing last night, and I have no clue as to what the problem might be. When I'm in "bulb" mode and I release the shutter, it will open, but when I engage the shutter release again, it will not close. I have to physically remove the battery from the camera for at least 10 seconds, reinsert it, and then trip the shutter in order for it to close. If I try to reinsert the battery in less than 10 seconds, it will still not work. The battery is in good shape (I even put a fresh battery in to to eliminate that as the issue), and the shutter works fine at all shutter speeds except bulb. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? This really bummed me out as I missed taking some amazing aurora photos last night due to this problem.

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, that's usually the symptom of a low battery, ie shutter needs power to close. Check your "new" battery with a voltmeter. Also, a battery does not like cold. Mamiya makes a remote 6V battery pack that you can keep in your pocket. Or you can make one yourself.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 12-15-2006 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What are you using to hold the shutter open? Is it the electric cable or a traditional cable release? If you remove all accessories (winder, etc.) and hold the button on the camera body does it work correctly?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What are you using to hold the shutter open? Is it the electric cable or a traditional cable release? If you remove all accessories (winder, etc.) and hold the button on the camera body does it work correctly?
    Hi Greg,

I have tried both a traditional cable release and just pushing on the camera body shutter button. I don't have the electric cable release... if I did, I would certainly traget that as a possible cause.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, then it sounds like your camera needs to be serviced. At the price of used bodies, that may not be practicle. You could also try removing the viewfinder, and the film back to make sure something strange isn't happening with those, but I don't think it will solve the problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's an update on my shutter problem...

I was fiddling around again with the camera, trying to figure out what the issue might be, and I decided to remove the cable release adapter that I normally keep pluged into the side port. As soon as I did this, the shutter worked again in the bulb mode by pressing the shutter release button on the camera body. So for some reason, when the adapter is pluged into the camera body, bulb won't work properly. So then does the problem lie with the adapter, or the contacts on the camera body? I suppose the only way to find out is to buy a new adapter. Anyway, I just thought I'd follow up, and I'm curoius to know if anyone on this forum has experienced a similar problem in the past.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,
    Take a look at the contacts in the socket for the adapter & see if there's a bent contact. What you describe would be a symptom of a shorted switch or contact.
    If the B function works with the adapter removed, it's either the adapter, socket or an internal short..
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I should have listed that adapter when I said to remove all accessories in the post above. It would be very easy for something to go wrong with those adaptors. All that it contains is a sliding contact that shorts to ground to energize the metering, then when you push it more it shorts the release to ground. If some corrosion has happened inside the adaptor, then it could be messing with the logic inside the camera. I have several of these adaptors, and even converted one to a long push button release by soldering wires into the adaptor and soldering a switch to the other end. Making it locking would just take a different switch.

Somewhere in this forum I listed what the contacts in the camera do, and it would be a simple task to short the correct pins together to verify that your camera body still works correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks John and Greg for the tips. It appears that the contact pins on the camera body are in perfect shape. So I'm hoping the problem is just with the adapter. I'm going to order a new adapter from B&H tomorrow and hope that solves the problem.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Mike,

I am not sure you have a problem.
    The M645 pro and pro TL is equipped with an electronic shutter.
    The Bulb (B) release should be done with and working with the shutter release but your selection should be done to put the selector on "self-timer" then. When pushing the shutter release button it should open, when doing it again it should close. This is done by the special circuit build in the Mamiya 645 pro and pro-TL series.
    The shutter will only work if you have battery power but this should also be the case on all other settings.
    You can put a cable release (standard) in the motor drive unit. That's the way I have alsways worked with.
    Try the (cable release) adapter in the same mode settings: Shutter dial on B and selector on "self timer". Then it should also work but this I have never tried. If not maybe there is a problem in the adapter.

Best regards,

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin