Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,109   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Read and reread the instructions regarding having the camera and lens cocked before removing the lens. There is a chance of the lens jamming onto the body if you don't do this. Also, when you load film, it loads inside out (black side of leader faces out), and the leader goes under the little metal rail at the top of the film insert. Other than those quirks, the Hass will pretty much take care of you. You will feel foolish the first dozen times you try to shoot and nothing happens (the darkslide must be removed before the shutter will fire). But the camera will train you in no time. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the manual, read the section on loading film. After a couple of rolls you'll be fine. Also watch out for cocking the camera before mounting / removing the lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Enjoy what is probably the most versatile MF system ever conceived. The 500Series can do anything you ask of it. The system is complete. Just go slowly. It's not a 35mm camera. The Hassy requires more thought and care before you press the shutter. But wait until you view those glorious negs! My lens selection is 50, 80, 150. Some photographers prefer 40, 60, 120. The 100mm and the 250mm are also great. My advice is do not remove the magazine from the body just to load film. It is unecessary and puts additional wear and tear on both the back and the body. If you have only one film back, take the dark slide out so you won't hit the film back latch by mistake when your real intention was to lift up the WL finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Once you see the enlargements from it you won't want to use 35mm again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies.

Thank you for the manual links.

Thanks for the tips.

It really just feels so much sturdier and nicer than my 35mm's.

What about flash sync on this camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Synchs at all speeds, 1 sec to 1/500. Synch connection is on the lenses. Where do you live? I might have to sell my 50C due to a broken truck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post

What about flash sync on this camera?
    On the lens, at all speeds, though a VERY FEW big studio electronic flash units may have a long enough flash duration to 'clip' if the shutter is actually runnibg at 1/500 (1/300 is likelier and this is the longest flash duration I have seen quoted.

On the body also, with the rear light-trap 'trapdoors' so you can put a shutterless lens on a bellows and still shoot flash. This feature was dropped on later Hasselblads.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting into this for the first time, make sure you have a good read of the manual. Pay particular attention to the film loading and the camera's interlocks that prevent it from firing when something is done improperly. Load the film with the black side of the paper facing the shutter

Hassy has one so-called weakness that you'll see called the "Hassy Jam". Never mount an uncocked lens and you'll be fine.

The 40mm Distagon is close to a 24mm in 135 format. I think you'll find the square format makes it seem wider though compared to the long, skinny 3:2 ratio of 135. I love square format personally.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=Mike Kovacs;409864]
    The 40mm Distagon is close to a 24mm in 135 format. I think you'll find the square format makes it seem wider though compared to the long, skinny 3:2 ratio of 135. QUOTE]

Hmmm. That's why I'd have said 21. My logic was that the diagonal of '6x6 cm' (assuming 56x56) is a bit over 79mm while the diagonal of 24x36mm is a bit over 43mm. Halve 'em both and you get 39.6 (call it 40mm) and 21.7 (call it 21mm). Yes, rounding in opposite directions, but for exactly the reasons you give. Not trying to be awkward; more sort of agreeing, but giving reasons why I express my agreement in a different way...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! Lenses are expensive for this baby.

I think I'll stick with the 80mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin