Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,700   Posts: 1,482,620   Online: 755

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings Ham: Congrats aside for the moment, there are at least a few significant points to mention about the 500C that will prevent you from causing extensive damage to the body and/or lens or back.
    At the risk of being redundant or telling you something you already know, if you don't, please drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to let you know what those points are. And now....congrats from me too. ;>)
    Mark@feldstein-photo.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Hmmm. That's why I'd have said 21. My logic was that the diagonal of '6x6 cm' (assuming 56x56) is a bit over 79mm while the diagonal of 24x36mm is a bit over 43mm. Halve 'em both and you get 39.6 (call it 40mm) and 21.7 (call it 21mm). Yes, rounding in opposite directions, but for exactly the reasons you give. Not trying to be awkward; more sort of agreeing, but giving reasons why I express my agreement in a different way...

Cheers,

R.
    Incidentally, I've been quite able to get along with my 50/4 Distagon on my Rolleiflex SLR even though its said to be about 28mm equivalent. The widest I regularly use in 135 format is the 24/2.8 on my Nikons and I don't really feel constrained in 120 format with only a 50mm lens on the wide end. This is what spawned my comment that Roger very nicely elaborated on.

As for the prices - well the Zeiss glass don't come cheap! I think you will find you can get deals on the older optics if you can live without T* coating. I have not been disappointed with my 50-80-150-250 set for my Rolleiflex. The optics are the same as the Hasselblads of the same era. A 40mm would be nice but its a lot of money.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Wow! Lenses are expensive for this baby.

I think I'll stick with the 80mm.
    Keh. Bargain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Hammy,

Don't be too put off by those who warn of the danger of damaging/writing off your Hasselblad through inadvertent misuse. They really aren't that fragile of complicated. I don't think I've ever read an instruction book for one, even when I first had to use them professionally some 30+ years ago without any prior instruction. As long as you know about having both body and lens cocked when you change lenses, there's not much else to worry about.

Cheers,

R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd View Post
    Congratulations Hammy, beats the hell out of socks and aftershave.
    It certainly does, but then you can rewrap the socks and after shave and give them away as Christmas presents next year and save a few quid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations and welcome to the world of 6 x 6 , there is NO return ! :-)

Chris Benton
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    I took up his offer and emailed Mark Feldstein on proper care and use of my 500C, here's his reply for anyone searching and/or new to Hassies like me. He told me I can post it here too if I wished :

"First, never ever try to attach (or detach) a lens to a body when both of them aren't cocked. That's a fast way to do about $250 bucks worth of damage. Sometimes the lens shutter trips and closes by itself from one thing or another. To reset the lens if it's off the body, take a coin insert it in the rear reset-slot next to the red pin and turn it clockwise until you see the shutter open and lock into place. A flat blade screwdriver works for this as well but be careful not to slip as to not scratch the rear element.

If the lens is on the camera and the body is cocked but the lens shutter isn't, take a long screwdriver, push open the rear shutter curtain, find the reset slot and again, rotate it clockwise until it locks into place using the same precautions I mentioned.

If the shutter is tripped on the camera, just advance the film advance knob or crank to reset it but always make sure that the camera is cocked before adding or removing a lens.

Another thing is never try to attach or remove a film mag without having a dark slide inserted in the mag. It can be done without the dark slide but it'll damage either the mag, the body or both.

AND, if you suspect your film mag(s) haven't been serviced in quite awhile, either replace the light traps yourself or have a repair shop do it and while they're in there, clean and lube and adjust the gearing. Light traps are easy to do yourself with a jewelers screwdriver and you can buy the traps for about $10 bucks each from a guy on e-bay. Just a piece of foil basically and a chunk of foam rubber.

Also, if you buy any additional mags, make sure the 3 digit number on the insert matches the last 3 SN digits of the magazine. That will tell you that the insert was factory matched to the mag. If some guy tries to bullshit you and tell you it's not important, walk away from the deal.

Never ever try to adjust the focusing screen by yourself. The 500C is not like the CM or newer models that allow you the luxury of changing or aligning screens without sending them to a shop for service. To me, that's the biggest drawback of the "C" bods. Another thing to watch for is tripod insert/adapter thread stripping out and pulling loose of the body while it's mounted on a tripod. The cheaper inserts strip and don't fit properly. OR, someone at some time forced an insert in to the bod, stripped it out and voila, the camera body thread needs to be retapped. Easy to fix, potentially disasterous if you don't notice. That's really about it. Great camera. Yikes, I own four of these things and use them nearly every day. So if you ever have questions, feel free to drop me a note and I'll be glad to help you out. The "Hasselblad Manual" by Ernst Wildi is very useful and well-written. Available used at Powells.com even the first or second editions will do when you have a C or CM.

Also, if you ever need repairs, THE guy is David Odess. http://www.david-odess.com/index.html He trained at Blad and has been doing repairs for nearly as long as I've been shooting. [That's about the time Moses was in short pants].
    It's a wonderful piece of equipment. Use it in the best of health !!!!"

Thanks again Mark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin