Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,485   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look for a pre-owned Sekonic L408 - they're a few years old now, came in between the 308 and the 508/558/etc. It has a 5degree spot (close enough unless you're trying to meter individual leaves on said tree at 100 yards), has the waterproof feature, is smaller/lighter/more robust than the 558 and cousins, will cost a fair bit less, and it CAN be dropped on hard surfaces and survive (I know - I've done it more than once). It will do incident AND reflected, as well as the aforementioned 5 degree spot, and it will do ambient, flash, or mixed. I ended up getting a Minolta spot-meter IV that doesn't have flash metering to use as a compliment to the Sekonic when I'm strictly shooting in the field.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    The best advice I can give is to ditch the incident meter all together, and get a dedicated spot meter. I use a Pentax. You will be a much better photographer in short order. (After screwing the pooch a few times.) Yes, this is totally contrary to the advice above. Incident meters can be faster and easier at first, but correspondingly less accurate for a given situation, in general terms. I now find spot metering to be as convienient and easy as using the bubble. You sound like you have flash metering covered, for what you do.
    I'll second the recommendation for spot meters wholeheartedly: for negatives, spot is infinitely superior, though I still prefer incident for colour slide.

'Screwing the pooch' is a new one on me and as far as I know is llegal in most jurisdictions...

Finally, I'll add that sometimes, it's better to accept that you just have to spend what it takes to get the right kit. Second-best can sometimes be as much use as no good at all.

Cheers,

R.

Images
    My 'go to' meter is the Polaris. Don't sell it short. I think it's the best meter on the market FOR THE MONEY. I have the original model with the snap-on 10 degree attachment and I've never had a problem with it. I's accurate, easy to use and does what it's supposed to. It's worked fine in the New Mexico heat and sand and worked fine at below zero above 10,000 feet.

Buy the Polaris.

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    Gossen Starlite is a very nice meter. The Sekonic 558 like many have recommended also has all the features you need. For years, I use a Minolta flashmeter III for flash and incident and the Minolta spotmeter M for spot. I gave my brother the spotmeter M and now I have the Minolta flashmeter VI which does offer the 1 degree spot mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    'Screwing the pooch' is a new one on me and as far as I know is llegal in most jurisdictions...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=350436

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Gossen Starlite so I could have spot and incident + flash. This is a really nice meter but cost an arm and a leg.
    But you know what? I find that I still prefer my Lunasix 111 for most of my work, I guess old habits die hard and the Lunasix is just so good in low light.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    Thanks for the addvice folks, amazing how sekonic seems to have taken over the world in terms of flash metering - what hapenned to Gossen ? Presumably you use them as incident meters for 'close up' work and switch to spot for landscapes etc. One meter that does it all does sound nice.

Just missed out on an L-228 from the states by $1 to a sniper :-( it was only $50 including postage too. It's keep looking I guess !

Cheers ; Chris Benton
    Chris, I've PM'd you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone any ideas on this beast ? Going on the auction site at a place that knows little about it. Serial number apears to be '33169' and it's described as a "vintage asahi pentax spotmeter" Apparently Hi and Lo meters respond to light. Does it predate the Honywell partnership or is it likely to be later ?

Cheers ; Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1mw59.jpg   1mw59b-1.jpg  
    Last edited by digiconvert; 12-30-2006 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added photos
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    Sounds complicated.

I ceased using spot meters and went entirely "incident" when I realized how much easier and faster it is, and all the frames on the proof sheet are consistent. Works well for me.

Pat
    I can identify with Pat, here.... I'll also add a plug for the discontinued Sekonic L-718. Incident metering with a moderate amount of common sense and understanding of your materials can deliver very consistent results. The 718 also has a spot attachment. I have the attachment and have used it in extreme cases but don't know that I'd repurchase for the little use I give it.... Here's the operating manual and info:

http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/L-718.pdf

These tend to show up in the auction site from time to time at moderate prices.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good Lord!

I'd read the book and (I suppose) understood it in context. But I'd quite forgotten!

Thanks very much

Cheers,

R.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin