Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,899   Online: 949

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think there is a "dream meter".

The use of any meter still requires the same amount of thought. That said, I much prefer the spot meter as there is really no other way to precisely determine the subject brightness range. I have a Pentax V 1 degtree spot meter and I recently bought a Gaussen Luna Pro F for incident metering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hell, I just use my little Polaris for everything. I paid around $150 for it and it works great. It's not what it does but what you do with it.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Hell, I just use my little Polaris for everything. I paid around $150 for it and it works great. It's not what it does but what you do with it.

- CJ
    The Polaris looks really good on paper but as I said the only one I've seen in the flesh is a bit flimsy. You're the second person to recommend one though. Do you use yours for location or studio work or both ?
    Thanks ; Chris
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chris, I use it for everything. My primary career is on-location natural light portraiture, which I usually shoot indoors in low light. On rare occasions, I have used my dusty old studio light (my band shots from a month or two ago) and it works fine for that. When I travel or shoot a (rare) wedding, I set it to spot meter, and it does that well, too.

It's sort of like the difference between a hassey and a bronica. IMO one feels more expensive, but both work equally well. Frankly, I'm very ADD and constantly misplacing things -- if I lose the Polaris, I can replace it without breaking the bank.

I used to have a simple Gossen meter, and liked it fine, too.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Chris, I use it for everything. My primary career is on-location natural light portraiture, which I usually shoot indoors in low light. On rare occasions, I have used my dusty old studio light (my band shots from a month or two ago) and it works fine for that. When I travel or shoot a (rare) wedding, I set it to spot meter, and it does that well, too.

It's sort of like the difference between a hassey and a bronica. IMO one feels more expensive, but both work equally well. Frankly, I'm very ADD and constantly misplacing things -- if I lose the Polaris, I can replace it without breaking the bank.

I used to have a simple Gossen meter, and liked it fine, too.

- CJ
    I shoot Bronnie for the reason you give and am a great believer in performance over 'brand'. Thanks for the information I guess it deserves a second look, especially with the spot attachment.

Isn't this a wonderful place

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Myself:

2nd hand LN Gossen Luna Pro F - $50 (takes 9V batts)

2nd hand Ex Soligar Digital Spot Meter - $125 (takes 9V batts)

That about covers incident/reflective down to ridiculous light levels, flash metering, and one degree spot. It took me quite a while to finally get a true one degree spot meter for that price but it can be done.

Personally I wouldn't consider buying a new meter and spending $300-500 each - these are both close enough to new. Accurate, avoid anything with signs of leaked batteries.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just received my s/h Gossen spotmaster from Robert White. Absaloutely mint condition and readings seem accurate vs the Weston III. Cost about $300 but since it does flash and goes to EV1 that and my Weston should see me through most things. If I need incident flash I get my Calcuflash. Total cos to f meters = $350 !
    Thanks for all of the advice in this thread, I feel I am going to have some fun with the Zone system settings on the Gossen. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris, glad to hear you were successful with the Spotmaster and it is in such good condition. You can now annoy your family by peering at them through the meter as you learn to use it, but then she will notice that you've bought it. Just remember to tell her it was less than 1/3 the price of a new one.

If it hasn't got instructions I can send you a photocopy as you're sure going to need them!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin