Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=smiling gecko;412547]greg e,

out of curiousity, i wonder how many other slx/6000 series users are in the forum...also, what about those using the sl 2000 & 3000 series (35mm). i have been curious about these cameras, but most of the prices for gently used units scare me off.

Well, I'm a long-term user of 6001/3/8's and very pleased with them. I use and enjoy some PQS lenses which are incompatible with earlier cameras. For battery rebuilding, try: Welcome to Battery Specialties Website

I also use this charger (MAHA / POWEREX MH-C777PLUS-II Universal LCD Charger / Analyzer / Conditioner) in place of the Rollei Charger N and will say that it's ability to condition the batteries significantly extends their already good performance.

As you may have gathered from my earlier post, I'm not qualified to comment on the idea of switching to Li-ion batteries. But it can be very cold where I live, and all I do is put the battery in an inside pocket until I'm ready to meter and expose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd sure like to try a 6008 to see whether the lenses are worth the battery hassles over my trusty SL66.

Can't see it happening anytime soon though.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smiling gecko View Post
    out of curiousity, i wonder how many other slx/6000 series users are in the forum...also, what about those using the sl 2000 & 3000 series (35mm). i have been curious about these cameras, but most of the prices for gently used units scare me off.
    I have a 6003 (and a 2.8F TLR) and like it very much. In 1983, on a vacation in Germany, I bought one of the early SL2000F bodies. I already had a full set of the Zeiss lenses for the SL35E, so used them with the camera. The lenses were wonderful, but the camera was problematic. It had a defective film roller that left a row of holes in the emulsion, ruining every shot that I so eagerly made in Germany, Austria, and Italy. I managed to correct that by sanding the roller with emery cloth. But there were chronic problems with the motordrive clutch. It would reach the end of the roll and just keep on shooting images on the last frame on the roll. I had it repaired several times, but the problem always returned. After it ruined the film of a particularly important shoot, I sold it and all the lenses, and switched to NIkons. I miss the Zeiss lenses, but not the SL2000F.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lithium Polymer is not that scary. I found a company in China that lists some many different shapes and capacities that it sould be easy to build up a pack. There are a couple of RC hobby chargers that will allow you to charge self built multi cell packs with relative safety. I say relative because LiPo cells have a tendency to burn when you over charge them, or give them enough physical damage. There are videos all over youtube of this. Any way the company was IBT battery, but they never got back to me about a question that I had, so I don't know if they really even exist.

LiPo also tends to burn if you short them long enough, or just about any other mistreatment, so use them with respect.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    wowser!! so many helpful responses!!

thanks for all the additional information & insights greg e, timvermont, mike kovacs, & eddym.

as a fairly competent techno-klutz, i will probably look at completed battery units. as mentioned, in cold weather, it helps to keep the battery(s) in a warm pocket while composing and/or tramping around in the cold stuff.
    then installing & making the exposure(s).

thanks again all

breathe, relax, smile and enjoy
    www.neverforgetbeslan.org (under construction)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Contact Empire Scientic. I'm fairly certain that they will make almost any kind of battery for any type of camera.
    http://www.empirescientific.com/

Shooter
    35mm

6006 user here

Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont View Post

out of curiousity, i wonder how many other slx/6000 series users are in the forum...
    Hi Tim,

I am a very happy 6006 80/2.8 owner. I bought an extra battery by the way, though paying B&H $129 was tough to swallow. I'm looking for a used 40 or 50mm Distagon or Schneider. I'm envious of your slew of Rolleis and lenses.

I find that the heavy Rollei suits my deliberate style just fine. It's usually perched on a tripod.

--Alan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    alan,

i find the weight (and bulk) of my slx and/or 6002 to generally work to my advantage handheld.

making exposures at really slow shutter speeds the weight seems to make hand held exposures a bit more steady...and in a pinch i can lean or rest it against something solid and that works well also.

whenever i try the same approach with my minolta autocord the camera seems too light and unstable...could just be me : )

oh, thank you for the battery source link.

take care,

kenneth lockerman
    NEVER FORGET BESLAN
    www.neverforgetbeslan.com
    www.neverforgetbeslan.org (under construction)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin