Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

nimh battery source for rolleiflex slx & 6002

hoping to find a source to have some ni-cads rebuilt for my rolleiflex slx & 6002. i would like to have them rebuilt using nickel metal hydride technology...also wondering if my 'n' and/or 'g' rollei chargers will be compatible with them.

i had found some info "somewhere" and did not bookmark it, aarrgghh!!

i would greatly appreciate any information on this and would like to hear from someone who may have already had their ni-cads converted.

thanks,

breathe, relax, smile and enjoy

kenneth lockerman
    NEVER FORGET BESLAN
    www.neverforgetbeslan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    NiMH are normally just fine with the NiCad chargers.

You might have to open up the old batteries and find out what cells they use and do the replacement yourself.

Any idea what size cells it uses (A, AA, AAA, 1/2A, 4/3A, etc.)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.batterystore.com/

TNR, call these people they have rebuilt many ni/cad battery packs for me and they are reasonably priced!

Good luck,
    G

What ever it takes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Smiling Gecko, you may want to look at this thread:
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IJ9F
    Maybe there are some electrical engineers on APUG who can confirm that the Rolleis have a very high initial draw, apparently too much for anything but nicad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could change to Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion batteries, these both have insane amounts of initial draw. I would still use NiMh without much concern. I've used the AA cells in motor winders and no problems. I can't really believe that the Rollei winders/cameras have that much higher draw than any other medium format camera.

I'd have the measure the current draw to believe what was said in that thread, it just doesn't make sense. If the battery check draws that much current, then you would be shortening the life of your packs each time you used it. That post makes it sound like the camera basically shorts the connections together, and that just doesn't sound right. If I had one of those cameras, I'd put an ammeter on it tonight just to find out.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    thank you all for your suggestions!!

greg e, i think you're right about the charger and perhaps lithium polymer or lithium ion might be a better alternative.

giorgio, i'll start with the batterystore link you listed & go from there.

timvermont, thanks for the techo link...i'm not sure i want to swim too deeply into the diy end of the pool. i remember zapping myself almost out a chair while i fumbled around the innards of a honeywell strobonar flash...i discovered the wild world of capacitors!!! yowweeeeee!!!

meanwhile, i have my four spare batteries, a car charger and a power inverter...looking into a portable solar panel as well.

thanks again.

www.neverforgetbeslan.org (under construction)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A solar panel suggests that you spend extended amounts of time away from electricity. A Lithium battery will cut your weight and increase the capacity so you might be able to take fewer batteries with you. Definitely worth looking into.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    greg e,

i am a would-be woodsman...i "would like" to have extended time away from electricity...depending upon the season and locale : )

i would like to have the solar option as a back-up. due to the ease of use of these cameras and the terrific results i've had, i don't consider their battery dependence an insurmountable problem. i am just trying to see if some of the newer battery technology would be worth trying.

out of curiousity, i wonder how many other slx/6000 series users are in the forum...also, what about those using the sl 2000 & 3000 series (35mm). i have been curious about these cameras, but most of the prices for gently used units scare me off.

thanks again,

PlaceHolder for NEVERFORGETBESLAN.ORG (under construction)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 6008 Professional that I haven't used for awhile.
    Has 2 batteries but they are both dead. I'll probably sell it as it doesn't suit my shooting style anymore. I would like to get a working battery so I can sell it as a functioning unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer my SL66 battery personally

I know we're talking about a different camera but my attempts at building a NiMH pack for my Nikon MD-4 motor drive for my Nikon F3 camera was a failure. Performance was way down compared to the NiCd. If you have a charger that only uses time for the quick charge phase rather than a "smart" charger, you will need to charge 2-3x longer since the NiMH are higher capacity.

Also, the higher the capacity of the NiMH cells you chose, the lower the peak current they can supply. You'd be best off with the lower capacity variety if you go this route. Also, you should consider that NiMH cells self discharge quite quickly - not so great if they spend any time on the shelf or in a pack for a week or two.

Li polymer sounds exciting but its going to require a fair bit of engineering unless you can find a commercially available battery pack (probably the wrong physical size and shape), and somehow rig it to your camera with an adapter. These cells (used in laptops) have to be designed very carefully with regards to charging. These safe charging designs are probably beyond the realm of most do-it-yourselfers IMO.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin