Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 916

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya back rollers on emulsion side

On the 645 backs there are two long rollers on top and bottom of the front opening. This is on the back, not the insert. They run from one side to the other, apparently the film passes over them on the emulsion side. I've thuroughly cleaned them but one of them on one back has a little nick on it. It has scratched some of my negatives. (Isolated to this particular back and the position on the negative where the scratch marks are.) Any suggestions on how to fix this or should I just toss the back and get another one from KEH? The assembly can come out for replacement but I don't know if it is economically worth doing, if the part could be found. I was thinking some sort of polishing or buffing could take the nick out but am concerned about ruining more film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I dont know about the 645 backs but on the rb you can buy the shells seperatly. I see them on ebay sometimes.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Backs are so cheap, I think I would get a new one rather than deal with trying to get parts for a repair. Perhaps you can find a parts back on eBay, depending on your patience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another possibility would be to use a Dremel tool with a fine Craytex wheel on it to 'polish" the nick down to below the level of the main roller so that the nicked area would not come in contact with the neg.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might also try rubbing compound or rottenstone to polish it out.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin