Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 771

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ishotherald: Go with the Pentax since its complete system,
    I have been for the last 4 to 6 months be build a hassey system am now awaiting for the lens to arrive ,My system will have cost me $1,471.00 so unless you have funds to tie up like I do , then go with the pentax!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Before you die you will regret all the things you haven't done",
    buy and use the Hassie! If you don't intend to use it frequently then buy the Pentax and regret it!
    Just my opinion,
    Regards
    John

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 220 back should not be the determining factor, i shoot my 120 color slides in a 220 back, just need to keep track of your film usage.
    Two 503Cx for 500 is about the right price if they don't even have the folding view finder.
    If you like the square format go with the hassy, an 80mm CF lens can with a little patience be had for 400.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Two 503Cx for 500 is about the right price if they don't even have the folding view finder.
    I would say it's a very good price. Sell one and buy a lens. The C and CT* lenses can be had at a relatively reasonable price.

I am in a bit of the same dilemma. I have just got my new toy -- a Pentax 645n with the FA45/2.8 and I like it a lot and will probably get a FA150/2.8 too. but can I afford to keep my Hassy kit as well as a P645 kit?
    Darn these decisions!

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went ahead and took a look and allthough he told me that they were both cx's it teurns our one was the 503 and the other was a 500(501? cant remeber) c/m that would prbly need a deep clean, lots of grit in it. I'll wait and see what the pentax is and go form there. In the mean time someone gave me a box full of old plate cameras so the Gear Aquistion Syndrome has been temporarily treated.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Hassy lenses outside the 80 can be pricey and expansion to two lenses even more so; And I really don't believe a 220 back to be a good investment unless 120 can be shot in it.
    It can be. That is, 120 film can be shot in a 220 back. I have done it for years. The only problem is that when you advance the film you have extra space between the 12 frames, so it's easy to lose the first and/or last frame if you're not careful when unloading and processing the film. I don't recommend shooting 120 film in a 220 back if you are sending the film out, but if you develop it yourself, it's not a problem. These days, I go out with HP5+ in the 120 back and FP4+ in the 220 back or vice versa. Works fine for me.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishotharold View Post
    I have the oppertunity to pick up two hasselblad bodies with a 220 back and waistlevles for around 500. I also have the oppertunity to pick up a pentax 645 with 2 lenses (a fast 80 and a fast 135 I believe but the seller is my neighbor and just moved so the camera is buried for a while yet so not forsure) for 400. I am not sure which way to go. The hasselblads are.. well hasselblads and I would love to have one, is $500 for two 503cx bodies and the back a good price? I know the pentax would give me more bang for the buck in terms of immediate useability but I do have a mamiya med format that I shoot and I have other cameras to play with as I build the hasselblad kit. Thoughts?
    I work with both the 501 and the Pentax 645NII and each for totally different reason often during the same shoot - depending on the look I'm after. What will you be photographing with them? Do you need speed? Do you need interchanging backs? Do you prefer an SLR on steriods (the Pentax is very nice) or the magic of the Hasselblad & glass? I'd suggest playing around (renting) both until you know which one you prefer/need for your style of work. All the best, Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you thought about whether you like 6x6 or 6x4.5 format better? I *love* square format - the Pentax is a non-starter for me based on that alone. You can always crop 6x6 down, albeit at greater expense per roll of film.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I own a Pentax 645 N2 and find it excellent for a range of photography, including weddings/ event/ action and general shooting. Focusing is particularly easy - you can easily change between auofocus and manual - it snaps in and out of focus quickly and there is a red indicator light and bleep to denote you are in focus- ideal for tired eyes! - it will do this with manual lenses as well - especially useful for the wide angles. The metering is excellent, and you can use Metz or Pentax flash in TTL dedicated mode.
    Only downside is lack of interchangeable backs, and possibly the mirror up function is a little tricky - Mamiya do it better on their 645's.
    I worked for a wedding photographer who used Pentax 645's and considered that they were as good as Hasselblads. I have never been tempted to buy a Hasselblad they appear slow to use. Optically Pentax MF lenses are excellent- either as primes or zooms

Hope this helps

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you have to take both Hassies? If not I would go with the 503cx body alone and let seller worry about getting rid of the 220 back and the other body.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin