Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 696

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax or hasselblad?

I have the oppertunity to pick up two hasselblad bodies with a 220 back and waistlevles for around 500. I also have the oppertunity to pick up a pentax 645 with 2 lenses (a fast 80 and a fast 135 I believe but the seller is my neighbor and just moved so the camera is buried for a while yet so not forsure) for 400. I am not sure which way to go. The hasselblads are.. well hasselblads and I would love to have one, is $500 for two 503cx bodies and the back a good price? I know the pentax would give me more bang for the buck in terms of immediate useability but I do have a mamiya med format that I shoot and I have other cameras to play with as I build the hasselblad kit. Thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishotharold View Post
    I have the oppertunity to pick up two hasselblad bodies with a 220 back and waistlevles for around 500. I also have the oppertunity to pick up a pentax 645 with 2 lenses (a fast 80 and a fast 135 I believe but the seller is my neighbor and just moved so the camera is buried for a while yet so not forsure) for 400. I am not sure which way to go. The hasselblads are.. well hasselblads and I would love to have one, is $500 for two 503cx bodies and the back a good price? I know the pentax would give me more bang for the buck in terms of immediate useability but I do have a mamiya med format that I shoot and I have other cameras to play with as I build the hasselblad kit. Thoughts?
    Hasselblad. IF you can honestly persuade yourself you need another MF system...

It's always good to own and use at least one iconic product, if only to see why it's an icon.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what does a 503cx sell for on the used market? I'd probably only keep one of the bodies. And of course I can convience myself I need another MF. I have sinned grevieously this year in the purchase of several digital pieces for work. I must equalize the power balance again .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have sinned grevieously this year in the purchase of several digital pieces for work.
    Absolvo te. Three Hail Victors and an Ilfordnoster.

Pax vobiscum,

R.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    buy them both, see which one you really like for your style shooting, and sell the one you don't like on eBay or somewhere

who am I to tell you what's right for you

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the oppertunity to pick up two hasselblad bodies with a 220 back and waistlevles for around 500. .....
    Hasselblad. But, do you have any Hasselblad lenses?
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    no lenses right now, but I have a small budget to work with. I'm thinking I could spend 400-500 on a lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two 503s for $500 sounds like an excellent price to me. You could probably sell one on Ebay for the price of a lens.

Antje

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hassy lenses outside the 80 can be pricey and expansion to two lenses even more so; And I really don't believe a 220 back to be a good investment unless 120 can be shot in it. The Pentax wouldn't be a bad deal, but then both deals would for me depend on the condition and any CLA's that would be needed.

I bought 5 mf cameras over the years for thousands of dollars and only 1 really gets used. You might consider moving your current one out if you buy either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own two Pentax 645's and love them. I've also come "this close" to buying a Hasselblad a couple of times because I've always wanted one.

The Pentax probably comes with the standard 75/2.8 and a 135/4. I don't think there was an 80mm made for it. The 135/4 has a leaf shutter. The 75/2.8 came in two models either with a leaf shutter or as a standard lens without shutter--the 645 body has a focal plane shutter. I am familiar with the non-shuttered 75/2.8 and consider it one of the best lenses I've ever owned. All the Pentax lenses I'm familiar with are excellent.

Right now, the Pentax 645 bodies and lenses are dirt-cheap. Depending on the condition of the camera and the lenses, you might be getting a bargain or you might be able to do better with your $400. There are a couple of factors to consider about the Hasselblads. Hasselblad bodies are going pretty cheap these days but any used Zeiss lens will be comparatively pricey. You won't be able to use the cameras until you buy one of those great Zeiss lenses. There is only one back for two bodies and the back only handles 220 film. Check on what types of 220 film are available these days and you might not consider the 220 back to even be of any use to you at all. In any event, buying the 'blads is going to cost you a lot more money than the initial $500 just to be able to use them.

It's your decision, of course, but neither of these deals might be the bargain it looks to be on the surface.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin