Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Add a Fuji GSW690 to a GW690 III ?

I already own a Fuji GW690 III with a 3.5/90mm lens.

Now I have a chance to acquire the wide angle sister, the GSW 690 III with a 5.6/65mm lens.

I'm shooting portraits, architecture and landscape with the 6x9, and I have a Manfrotto panorama head to stitch 2 or 3 images together.

I'm not sure if the angle of the GSW is so much larger compared to the GW. Doing the math it sould be a plus of 50% for the angle, but maybe one of you already owns both of them and can give me some advice?

I've read that the viewfinder features a barrel distortion, and the lens barrel is in the way when composing an image...<sigh>
    Last edited by toyotadesigner; 01-08-2007 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the same two focal lengths on my 6x7 Mamiya RB. In 35mm equivalents, it's the difference between and "normal" 50mm and about a 35mm lens. I doubt it would get much use in portraits, but for landscapes, I think you might like it.

I have the Fuji 645, and it is the sharpest lens on any camera I own. I'm a bit envious.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Fuji GW 670 III 90mm, and a GSW 690 III 65mm; and I love both of them. The GSW does have a little barrel distortion in the viewfinder, and the lens blocks some of the view, but in practice I haven't found these to be a big deal. For landscape/architecture, I prefer the GSW. On the first page of my site, www.desmidt.net , the London Eye and British Museum photographs were taken with the GSW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the GW690II. The 90mm is equivalent to a 40mm lens on 35mm film and the 65 is within a degree or two of a 28mm equivalent. I find the Fuji finder a bit foggy and small compared to my other rangefinders, so I use a Cosina Voigtlander 40mm hot shoe finder for a larger, brighter image. You might find that a 28mm bright line hot shoe finder for 35mm alleviates the problems with the GSW finder. The only inconvenience is the separate focus / frame setup, but I don't find that a problem in the way I work with the Fuji.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I have the GW690II. The 90mm is equivalent to a 40mm lens on 35mm film and the 65 is within a degree or two of a 28mm equivalent.

Lee
    Lee, you're correct. I was thinking 6x7, when the OP was talking about 6x9. Doh! :rolleyes:
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both, they have been my main machines over the last few years. On 6x9 the difference is more like the difference between a 35 and a 28. As Peter said, there are those issues that you mentioned, and the lens is slower than the 90mm but I haven't found anything too difficult to work with. I feel that to be able to handhold a camera that produces such a great large neg more than makes up for any small issues. Only you can know if the wider view will be useful for what you do, but I have found the 65mm very handy at times. It is an excellent lens, just like the 90mm that you are familiar with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the GW670 II along with the GSW690 III and love using them. They make a good combo... really sharp lenses. I have not had any trouble with the viewfinders as I am such a slooooow shooter it really doesn't matter.
    So I say go ahead and get the GSW690 III... you won't regret it at all.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Lee, you're correct. I was thinking 6x7, when the OP was talking about 6x9. Doh! :rolleyes:
    David,

I assumed you were just talking about relative angles between the 90 and 65, not 35mm equivalents, so I wasn't really thinking of my post as a correction, just additional info. I already had a 40mm bright line finder for my rangefinders and realized it might do well with the 690GWII, then ran the numbers, and it's within a degree or so and the correct aspect ratio as well. The auxiliary finder allows me to see much more of what's going on in the frame, especially with smaller moving objects in landscapes.

The 90mm on my 690 was the first MF lens that I saw results from that rivalled my 35mm lenses in absolute resolution and contrast.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get 'em all. These are really wonderful picture takers. I created a Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 Camera Page here:

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/fuji670.htm

-Current Owner of a Fuji GA645ZI and Fuji GSW690II

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the GSW. I started with the GW690III and quickly added the GSW690III. They now travel together in a backpack, and they make a great pair. I do a lot of scenics (Utah, you know), and the wide angle lens is often a necessity. The 65 mm lens is like a 28 mm on a 35 mm camera, and it fills the need very well. The lens is of excellent quality, although it only opens up to f/5.6. The box is identical for both the GW and GSW, so operation is the same. Some people are a bit confused by the fact that you can see part of the lens in the viewfinder on the GSW, but you quickly get used to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin