Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,785   Online: 993

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last year, on the way home from a trip, I got tagged at the airport for a full inspection of my baggage, carry-ons, clothing, dental work, etc. I had a travel case with the c3, c220, 5 lenses, 2 prism finders, etc., etc. and I guess it had been a slow day for the TSA agent. He wanted to know what it was, why it wasn't a 35mm camera, why it was so big, why this instead of a 35mm camera and on and on. I was very patient and explained it all to him as best I could, without touching the things on the table, sir! I had no idea that I'd be giving a photo equipment lesson that day when I left home. But at least he didn't ask me if it was digital... Actually, many people think it is a movie camera when they see it, especially if I am using the porrofinder and a tripod.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i've had the 'shooting a movie?' question about my RB as well
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife always seems to attract a crowd with her C330 too. People seem to love it and, perhaps more usefully, they seem not to feel threatened by it in the way they can be by other cameras, so they don't mind it pointing at them. I can't be doing with the thing myself. I just don't seem to get on with TLRs, although I am the first to admit that it gets good results.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    People duck when I take my RB67 on the streets of NYC thinking it's some kind of ray gun.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Tread lightly in Washington DC, home of the the ubiquitous concrete barriers and much hysteria over security: shooting on the Mall with a C330S and the 180 Super will draw attention of Capitol security if you get too close to the Capitol. The 180 Super fat lenses draw attention immediately.

I just ignore and keep shooting, and my experience has been that people certainly do like these cameras and often ask to be photographed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get plenty of attention when I'm on the street with my Rolleiflex TLR. Especially young-middle age women
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Today I was out shooting with my new-to-me Mamiya C330f. Id used it before, but this was the first time I was outside downtown with it.

Just composing on the sidewalk, I thought I was going to cause an accident... people were amazed at the old thing. I was surprised that they were surprised. At least no one asked, "How many megapixels?".

Cheers.
    Wait until you put it on a tripod! I was once asked if I was a "land surveyor".
    (I was very tempted to say "yes... and this building has to move a few feet".).
    The same day I was also accosted in a friendly way by a man who stopped
    his car in the middle of the road to talk to me - almost causing a traffic problem.

It's a great camera and they will be amazed by your pictures too.
    Last edited by JJC; 01-10-2007 at 11:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About two months ago I was shooting with Rolei FW 4.0 in santa fe. I could see confusion/curiosity in people's eyes. One of the guys even asked me what kind of camera that was. I answered. He replied that he is a photographer and used to use similar cameras, but now only digital ones.
    Similar case has happened in La Guardia airport when I was transporting some Myryad (audio) equipment. TSA agent wanted me to show him the content of the boxes. After he had seen the equipment he remarked" "nice amplifier, go ahead...."
    I guess people still can appreciate good things....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mediumformatphoto View Post
    Tread lightly in Washington DC, home of the the ubiquitous concrete barriers and much hysteria over security: shooting on the Mall with a C330S and the 180 Super will draw attention of Capitol security if you get too close to the Capitol. The 180 Super fat lenses draw attention immediately.

I just ignore and keep shooting, and my experience has been that people certainly do like these cameras and often ask to be photographed.
    The Capitol Police get anal-retentive about tripods, not about photography per se. I was out with my 5x7, shooting the old brick spring house on the capitol grounds, and got approached by a Capitol policeman, and asked if I had a tripod permit. I didn't, but he let me finish taking my last shot, and told me to get one next time - never bothering to tell me where or when I needed to go get one...

I think you go to the new Capitol visitors center.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tell me more about these "young-middle age women" ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    I get plenty of attention when I'm on the street with my Rolleiflex TLR. Especially young-middle age women
    art is about managing compromise

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin