Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,032   Online: 1148

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The Capitol Police get anal-retentive about tripods, not about photography per se. I was out with my 5x7, shooting the old brick spring house on the capitol grounds, and got approached by a Capitol policeman, and asked if I had a tripod permit. I didn't, but he let me finish taking my last shot, and told me to get one next time - never bothering to tell me where or when I needed to go get one...

I think you go to the new Capitol visitors center.
    Wow. That *is* anal. I thought you only needed permits for handguns,
    rifles, and shotguns. Now tripods.....? :rolleyes:
    Is it all tripods or just assault tripods?
    (Sorry about the sarcasm.)
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While shooting fall color on a mountain lake with my Bronica SQb, on a tripod, I managed to flush out two old fishermen. I clearly disturbed them and they decided to move elsewhere. As they passed by I heard one of them say "Damn TV guys."

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Today I was out shooting with my new-to-me Mamiya C330f. Id used it before, but this was the first time I was outside downtown with it.

Just composing on the sidewalk, I thought I was going to cause an accident... people were amazed at the old thing. I was surprised that they were surprised. At least no one asked, "How many megapixels?".

Cheers.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mamiya C TLRs I've had mine more years than I care to remember and they are still better cameras than I am a photographer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    Wow. That *is* anal. I thought you only needed permits for handguns,
    rifles, and shotguns. Now tripods.....? :rolleyes:
    Is it all tripods or just assault tripods?
    (Sorry about the sarcasm.)
    I don't quite get the impetus behind it - I think it was another knee-jerk post- 9/11 reaction, but I could be wrong and it could have been a pre-existing regulation, to prevent uncompensated commercial photography of the capitol. They don't want folks blocking the sidewalks and pathways across the Capitol grounds. You'd think that they'd realize by now that any terrorists scoping out the site for an "action" would have a: already gotten all the intel photos they needed, and b: would never be so dumb as to use a camera that would attract as much attention as a medium or large format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They've had a tripod permit rule on the Mall at least since 1991. Not sure how long before that. I've always been told it's just the tripping hazard issue, but they use it for any excuse now. I've been hassled at midnight on an empty (and I mean empty) Mall more than once. I pointed out that tripping an innocent bystander was unlikely, but it just got me a stern stare.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The tripod rule may be for the mall in general, but I did ask some of the Park Service rangers about using tripods on the actual monuments, and they said no problem as long as you don't obstruct traffic. I even did a commercial portrait shoot down on the WW II memorial, tripod, 4x5, reflectors on a lightstand and all, and nobody said anything to us about it. It might have helped that I was photographing an Air Force Colonel in his dress blues, but anyway...

It sounds like some folks have been passing out conflicting information, and the rangers/police on the ground don't have a consistent story. So once again, it all comes down to the whim of the official at the time of the encounter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had almost the opposite happen -- had someone ask me if my Canonet was a Leica, and then someone else asked me if my Rolleicord was a Seagull.

Images
    An 8x10 on the side of the road damn near got me run over by a porche SUV. The guy stopped, apologized and told me I have a beautiful camera. I told him that based on his car he obviously was a man of good taste and thanked him. He then asked if it was a hasselblad. I said "aren't they all?" And he missed the joke, so i told him what it was.

Oh well some where in CO there is a rich guy with a digital picture of my Kodak 8x10 2d. Which is in no way beautiful.

The only time anyone took notice of my MF camera was when I inadvertantly asked a russian student on vacation to trip the shutter for a family shot of us and the Vancouver skyline, I had set up. He was impressed that I had a Hartblei.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy your new C330! I, too picked one up last year as my first step into MF and as we know MF is just a "gateway" to bigger things! I enjoy toting it about and enjoy the comments and questions it generates. Still think I'd do better attracting women of all ages with a puppy, however!

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccarthy007 View Post
    Enjoy your new C330! I, too picked one up last year as my first step into MF and as we know MF is just a "gateway" to bigger things! I enjoy toting it about and enjoy the comments and questions it generates. Still think I'd do better attracting women of all ages with a puppy, however!
    The problem with puppies is that they grow into huge, slobbering beasts that can turn their daily 5 pounds of dog food into amazing *things* on the sidewalk, especially the puppies with these adorable big paws. A MF camera though stays cute and cuddly all its life!

Just a side note: I have always wondered if any woman actually notices the guy who's holding the puppy's leash. I know I don't. I'm far too occupied making friends with an adorable heap of fur and gleaming eyes.

Antje

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin