Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,322   Online: 1074

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would have fit in Harpo Marx's pocket.

Craig

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    We took a family vacation back in Dec 2006 to NYC just to poke around for a week and a bit. The kids are big enough to walk without needing to be carried by the end of the day (most days) so I took my C330 rig along for this holiday (Carrying/towing the backpack/rolling camera bag and hoisting a tired 4 year old both at the same time is rather tiring!).

The weather was nice and mild, and there were great clear days and nights for photo opportunities. We got down to a park in Brooklyn that was once a ferry dock near the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, and I carefully set up and exposed a panorama, overlapping 5 exposures as the sun was beginning to set. Several folks stopped to talk or watch as I pulled the C330 out and levelled it on the tripod, and hung around until I packed it up. There were quite a few 30 second or so delays, as I waited for a time when a river boat would not be near the edge of a frame to chat with them, answer questions on what kind of camera it was, take thir picture with thier digicams, etc. One couple commented that it was the same type of camera that they had their wedding photos taken with over 45 years earlier. I said they were quite correct for this camera line began in the 1950's

On Times Square and in Rockafeller Plaza I also had people ask me what the C330 was, or comment on what a nice camera I had. One group in the Rockafeller area actually presumed that I was one of the itenerant photographers that work the area. I explained that they all used digital now, and steered them to a guy with the camera, laptop, inkjet printer and ups system mounted on a cart gizmo near the curb.

While lining up the shot of the illuminated tree with the rink in the foreground, I waited for a break in the queue of people awaiting photos shot by a crew set up under a 'Kodak' banner. There one of the photo assistants, a kid of perhaps 19, said the likes of 'what kind of camera is that?'. I told him, and he asked why I didn't buy digital if I liked cameras so much. I told him I am still awaiting a 35 megapixel digital camera that does well at at taking pictures at night under available light conditions. He understood what I was saying, and smiled, with the comment 'sweet' returned...

I have over Christmas printed the Brooklyn Bridge panorama series and carefully trimmed to almost seamlesly butt them together and have mounted them to make a 14" high by 60" wide photomontage that now sits atop the piano in the front room.

I had a crowd of friends over for a house party for the weekend, and a number of people were admiring the photo. They asked how I made it, and in explaining, got out 'the Brick', as I call it. There were oh and ahs aas it was passed around and looked into. I got out my metz CT60 mega flash, attached a bounce card, and did a short chat on the benefits of off camera flash as I shot a short series of impromptu B&W portraits with the 180mm lens set attached. I intend to print these, and send them out with the thank you cards that my wife mails after a party.

Yes, the c330 isn't something that you put in your pocket, but it sure brings home great images when it is used carefully.

Nice going! It sounds like you did a great job promoting film photography as well.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Today I was out shooting with my new-to-me Mamiya C330f. Id used it before, but this was the first time I was outside downtown with it.

Just composing on the sidewalk, I thought I was going to cause an accident... people were amazed at the old thing. I was surprised that they were surprised. At least no one asked, "How many megapixels?".

Cheers.
    I get the odd interested onlooker with my 4x5, but mostly people ignore it. The only place I regularly shoot with other people around is my university though, and I think the current generation of late teens and early 20-somethings makes even more of an effort to seem disinterested in everything that mine did (I'm 31).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I dressed as Clark Kent this last Halloween, and put a flashbulb setup on the "tiller" as I call it.
    Well, I got a ton of great pictures of halloween costumes in use, lots of comments, and 3rd place in the costume contest.
    Over the course of the evening I lost count of how many times I was asked if that thing worked, if you could still buy film for it, etc.
    I doubt 1 in 10 of my "victims" that evening believed their pictures were being taken. Weeks later I showed the pile of pictures around the bar... Well, I doubt the costume would work so well again next year in that place!
    This talk of surveying equipment gives me an idea- paint tripod yellow, get yellow vest, be invisible. Could be very useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a great idea for street photography, people wouldn't take you seriously.
    Ben

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin