Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,774   Online: 858

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    To clarify, what I'm suggesting is for the poster to get his feet wet with a cheap unit focus folder and see how he likes 6x6 MF. If its the best thing since slided bread, go for a nice TLR, Hassy, whatever he likes and can afford. Most of the fanciest folders with unit focus and rangefinders are collectable now, and never were considered professional grade tools in their day anyway.

Coming from 35mm, I struggled for a while with square format but now the roles have completely reversed. I feel constrained in narrow 35mm format!
    Dear Mike,

Sorry, misunderstood. I'd second your advice (unit focus) wholeheartedly. It was just that your opening 'Bullocks' came close to 'Bollocks' which I took to mean (shall we say) 'Not so'.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I shouldn't try to speak languages I'm not 100% familiar with - like the King's English
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Yeah, I shouldn't try to speak languages I'm not 100% familiar with - like the King's English
    You are no doubt aware of this one:

When my father was born, we were part of a great Empire, ruled by an Emperor.

When I was born, the Empire had pretty much vanished, but we still lived in a Kingdom ruled by a King.

Children born today live in a Country ruled by a... well, by Tony Blair, anyway.

Hope no-one finds this too political or obscene. I first heard it of Ted Heath, so it may be political, but it ain't partisan.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt you'd find a great deal of difference in output, assuming they are both fully functional.

Your best bet is to try both cameras and see which one feels the best. One may have a better VF than the other, which may make using it more enjoyable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Go for whichever has a unit-focusing lens (not front-cell-focus). I've never had a truly satisfactory front-cell-focus lens yet, in 40 years of trying (and usually being disappointed by) RF folders.

Cheers,

R.
    I'm a bit late to the gate, but unit focusing leaves you with the Super Isolette, Iskra, Bessa II and the fifties version of the Mamiya 6.

If you shoot close, 1 to 2 meters, unit focusing is a major plus. At least that is my experience with the Super Isolette versus front cell focusing folders. If everything is set up properly, it is difficult to tell the difference from prints made with Super Isolette from those made with a TLR. A TLR has the advantage when composing, hands down.

With all that said, I do have a blast with a front cell focusing Voigtlander Perkeo II using a shoe mounted RF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any other old cameras there? I love old folders.

Anyway, my Agfa Billy, which I thought I was buying without a prayer of being usable, is rusty on the outside but perfect on the inside. It's actually missing a few pieces, but nothing that would affect the usability of the camera. Takes wonderful pictures, and if I could find somewhere that could scan the film or prints without them looking completely crappy I'd show you.

Get both, give them a thorough looking-at, and then sell them or give them away if they're not what you're looking for. Both are generally good cameras.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all for the advice. I went for the Franka as the Isolette has several small light leaks in the bellows on inspection with a halogen torch in the dark.

I think the Franka will be fun for my first foray into MF all I want now is some sunshine and to track down a user manual/instructions.

Some photos of the Franka
    Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
    I'm a bit late to the gate, but unit focusing leaves you with the Super Isolette, Iskra, Bessa II and the fifties version of the Mamiya 6.
    Oh no no no, there's more than that. My Balda Super Baldax is a unit-focusing camera. Some of the Super Ikontas were as well. Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Certo 6 with its lovely Tessar is a unit focus camera as well.
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    The Certo 6 with its lovely Tessar is a unit focus camera as well.
    Russ
    Yes! I love my Certo 6!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin