Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,912   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    How are you using the Waist Level finder ("WLF") - with or without the pop up magnifier?
    Are you aware that your WLF may have a built in sports finder?
    Have fun,
    Matt
    I'm using the WLF without using the sportsfinder nor the magnifier at the moment, Matt. Just getting used to the basics and, yes, having fun.

Cheers.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got so used to my WLF on my RZ that when people looked through it and said 'whoah' I was confused, then realized I was so conditioned I had forgotten
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pardon me and allow me to jump into this thread for some advice.

I've recieved some real good advice elsewhere in the forum regarding a Mamiya reference book and I've decided on the Mamiya TLR format as my first medium format camera.

My main use will be landscapes, steet scenes, existing light exposures, etc. I am prepared to slow down and use a tripod as often as needed considering the size and weight difference when swtching from35mm.

I've read the Bob Shell book on Mamiya M/F so I have the basics. The C330 is preferable to theC220. That being said, can the Mamiya TLR experts out there weigh in on some of the finer points within the Mamiya TLR series?

1.) What is the difference between the C33 and 330? Is one preferable?

2.) Are there various models within a given model? Such as c330s, etc?
    If so, what is the best version?

2.) Are the chrome lenses clearly superior to the black lenses? The book says
    they are sharper. May be better for landscape use?

3.) What exactly are the blue dot lenses?

4.) A purchasing question. I read references to HEH "Bargain" choices being
    good choices. Any personal purchasing experience to offer?

Any other tips are really welcome! Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eochief View Post

... can the Mamiya TLR experts out there weigh in on some of the finer points within the Mamiya TLR series?
    http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...faq/m_faq.html

Mr Patterson will be happy to explain it all to you.

As for "KEH", many (including me) have had good luck with bargain grade equip. My personal preference, tho, is that the little extra (in many cases) for "ex" grade will get you a lens that is about flawless. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post

[...]
    So true 8-)

The C33 is the precursor to the C330/f/s. Heavier, fixed focusing screen, minor detail variations. The C330 and C330f are pretty much the same apart from the focus lock on the C330f. The C330s has some changes to the focus screen, lens back catch, and more plastic internals.

Black lenses are easier to repair (with caveats), and generally have more contrasty coatings. Many, but not all, of the lenses kept the same design. Blue dot shutters are the last model Seiko used, and are easier to repair. Having said that there are a lot of older Seikosha shutter lenses still tripping along...

They compare fairly well to other MF equipment from the 1970's.

The main thing about cameras of this vintage is to judge them on actual wear and tear, not chronological age.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...faq/m_faq.html

As for "KEH", many (including me) have had good luck with bargain grade equip. My personal preference, tho, is that the little extra (in many cases) for "ex" grade will get you a lens that is about flawless. YMMV.

Hmmm.... I can't link into this site or pull it up by typing in. Is this site for Mr. patterson been taken down?

Would love to see what it offers ! Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try going in at the top:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patterson/
    or
    http://www.gapatterson.org

and following the Mamiya TLR System Summary link. There is also a copy at https://webfiles.berkeley.edu/~grahamp/

I go to some lengths to keep it available.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eochief View Post

I've read the Bob Shell book on Mamiya M/F so I have the basics. The C330 is preferable to theC220. That being said, can the Mamiya TLR experts out there weigh in on some of the finer points within the Mamiya TLR series?
    Hmmm. That sounded like an inrevocable statement. Why is a 330 preferable to a 220? The increase in complexity with resulting diminished reliabilty, added to the increase in weight, far outweighs the shifting parallax control and auto shutter cocking features in my mind. I'll keep my C220 (as I have for over 15 years) and know it will work every time I pull it out of the cabinet (without a hernia).

As far as lens, each has it's own personality, you need to decide which works for you. My personal favorites are the 65 for landscape work and 135 for portraits, although the 180 is a pretty nice piece of glass. Put a lens shade on and you will have little room to complain about these lens.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am inclined to agree... given the choice between the two (c220 vs c330) I chose the c220. Later when it was time to add another body, I opted for the c3, which is basically the c220 with a single crank advance rather than a regular winding knob... and a few years older. But the simplicity and reliability are exactly what I wanted them for.

As for lenses, my 3 favorites are the 65mm, 80mm & 180mm. I've had these since 1979 and wouldn't trade them for anything. Although, every now and then, I think about adding the 55mm, but when I have borrowed one to use, in the end I'm not sure it is sufficiently different from the 65mmm to warrant it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin