Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,123   Online: 761

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both a C330 and a C220, and I like them both.

To my mind, the best thing about the C330 is the fact that it is one of the best cameras around if you are left handed. I have limited right hand dexterity, and my C330 is perfect for me.

The combination of the auto shutter cocking, the additional shutter release, and the left hand grip that allows triggering that release from the grip, makes the C330 much faster and easier to use in a fast changing environment, like a wedding. I find as well that the configuration of left hand grip and trigger makes it very good for handheld work, even in marginal light.

The C220, however, is simpler, smaller and lighter, and I like it for that.

I have 55mm, 65mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses. I would not want to dispense with any of them

I do however think it is important to have both waist level and prism finders

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 01-31-2007 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    i do however think it is important to have both waist level and prism finders

Matt
    Just I inherited both the waist level and prism finders with the tower, literally. They are in for cla 65mm, 80mm and 250mm.

Please tell me about what you use each for.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    Just I inherited both the waist level and prism finders with the tower, literally. They are in for cla 65mm, 80mm and 250mm.

Please tell me about what you use each for.

Steve
    Steve:

First, and most obviously, the waist level finder is of course more convenient when you want to shoot from a lower vantage point. The prism finger is better when you need to shoot from a higher vantage point.

Second, if you are photographing something with a lot of movement, it is easier to track with a prism finder. The fact that the image is not reversed makes it more convenient and natural to follow movement, and you have (somewhat) better peripheral vision too.

Third, and this is related to the first point, photographs of people taken using a waist level finder have a somewhat unusual angle of view. I worked with a portrait and wedding photographer once who would hire other photographers to do overload work. He refused to hire anyone who didn't use a prism finder, because he didn't like what he called the "navel-eye view" of the world. We are used to looking at people using eyes that are approximately 5 - 5 1/2 feet off the ground - photographs taken from 3 feet of height are often not as flattering.

Fourth, you will find that the prism for the Mamiya C series isn't the brightest viewing system in the world (although if you want really dim, try a porrofinder). As a result, when light is marginal, the waist level is better.

Fifth, the waist level finder has a built in magnifier, which is good for fine focus adjustments.

Sixth, the waist level is small and light, so if that is the priority, that is what goes on the camera.

And finally, seventh, the waist level tends to force you to slow down and approach the photograph in a more methodical manner. If you need something to encourage that approach, than the waist level finder is recommended.

Some times I go for a long time with just the prism finder on the C330 (which I use more). Other times, I carry both finders, and switch between them. Finally, at other times, I just carry the waist level (usually on the C220) when size and weight are important, or I know that I'll be shooting something other than portraits, and mostly from a tripod.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve:

First, and most obviously, the waist level finder is of course more convenient when you want to shoot from a lower vantage point. The prism finger is better when you need to shoot from a higher vantage point.

Second, if you are photographing something with a lot of movement, it is easier to track with a prism finder. The fact that the image is not reversed makes it more convenient and natural to follow movement, and you have (somewhat) better peripheral vision too.

Third, and this is related to the first point, photographs of people taken using a waist level finder have a somewhat unusual angle of view. I worked with a portrait and wedding photographer once who would hire other photographers to do overload work. He refused to hire anyone who didn't use a prism finder, because he didn't like what he called the "navel-eye view" of the world. We are used to looking at people using eyes that are approximately 5 - 5 1/2 feet off the ground - photographs taken from 3 feet of height are often not as flattering.

Fourth, you will find that the prism for the Mamiya C series isn't the brightest viewing system in the world (although if you want really dim, try a porrofinder). As a result, when light is marginal, the waist level is better.

Fifth, the waist level finder has a built in magnifier, which is good for fine focus adjustments.

Sixth, the waist level is small and light, so if that is the priority, that is what goes on the camera.

And finally, seventh, the waist level tends to force you to slow down and approach the photograph in a more methodical manner. If you need something to encourage that approach, than the waist level finder is recommended.

Some times I go for a long time with just the prism finder on the C330 (which I use more). Other times, I carry both finders, and switch between them. Finally, at other times, I just carry the waist level (usually on the C220) when size and weight are important, or I know that I'll be shooting something other than portraits, and mostly from a tripod.

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Matt,

Thank you.

I primarily shoot scenic photographs - distant views, close up of flowers, wildlife, ... , sometimes active people in action - skiing. I use UC 400 almost exclusively because I rarely photograph people close up. An lastly, I moved from 120 to 35mm slr 40 years ago because I could not stand the right-left reversal.

I have several focusing screens, the WLF finder, a tower, a Porroprism with a light meter [cds ?] and a paraminder. Also about every thing available for a C330 [he had a C2 before].

I have a Nikon 35mm with a f3.6 28mm to 300mm and a f2.8 20mm to 35mm Nikon lens. So I am used to travelling fairly light. I am planning on a trip with both cameras and maybe a 120 folder, too. I am trying to figure out what I should leave a home for a skiing and snowmobiling vacation in Wyoming at the end of the month.

I also have a nasty habit of printing 35mm at 12"x18" and 24"x36" and hanging the photos on the wall.

Any suggestions?

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 01-31-2007 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would add a few more experiences to what Matt said:

I find that as I get older and my eyes get worse, the prism finder is easier to use with bi-focals

If I am shooting architecture or street scenes, where there are going to be a lot of signs with words, I use the prism finder, so that I don't end up with L to R composition problems... but that is much rarer than my outdoors landscape and scenic kinds of shooting.

The porrofinder, while much less expensive and lighter, is much darker, as Matt said. I have one in case I have both bodies going at the same time and don't want to be using the WL on either of them... strictly "overflow".

I find the WL finder very natural, after 35+ years of TLR usage. On my Bronica system, I have only the WL finder and it seems perfectly fine. What I have never tried, in all this time, is the chimney finder, and I'd really like to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MattKing and wclavey,

Thanks for your recommendations. I just got a call that the C330 is back from the CLA and resealing. So I am going to burn some film and try out the Porroflex and the Chimney.

I figure that 5 rolls of 120 should give me enough practice to make it practical to bring the Nikon 35mm and the C330 on vacation. I need to decide what to take considering ease of use, mass and volume.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Waist level finders only really screw me up when I'm holding the camera out sideways (90 degrees from vertical with the WLF facing me). It takes some mental gymnastics to orient things properly like that

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Waist level finders only really screw me up when I'm holding the camera out sideways (90 degrees from vertical with the WLF facing me). It takes some mental gymnastics to orient things properly like that
    Why would you do that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Why would you do that?
    David:

Maybe he has tried to do this with a 6x4.5 or 6x7 camera.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David:

Maybe he has tried to do this with a 6x4.5 or 6x7 camera.

Matt
    Matt, I'm sure you're on to something. Now, why didn't that occur to me in a thread about 6x6 TLR's? Doh! :rolleyes:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin