Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,604   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help needed from Rolleiflex Guru's

I have obtained a 3.5T sn 2120721 need to know is this a Bay I, II or III? am trying to locate a lens cap and need to know. Also does anyone know which eveyready cases will fit this and which won't?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry not to answer your question directly, but as a Rollei user (2 cords, 1 automat and 1 grey baby), I have never found a use for either lenscaps or everready cases. I keep lens hoods on each and use them, regularly. The Hood is deep enough to keep fingers, etc away and is essential for general use day to day. In my opinion ERc's are great for the collector, but if you plan to shoot, just get a hood and throw it in your bag. I have a couple of the cases but only use to ship for CLA. My advice, forgo the ERCand cap and spend the dollars on a CLA and lens hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaska View Post
    Sorry not to answer your question directly, but as a Rollei user (2 cords, 1 automat and 1 grey baby), I have never found a use for either lenscaps or everready cases. I keep lens hoods on each and use them, regularly. The Hood is deep enough to keep fingers, etc away and is essential for general use day to day. In my opinion ERc's are great for the collector, but if you plan to shoot, just get a hood and throw it in your bag. I have a couple of the cases but only use to ship for CLA. My advice, forgo the ERCand cap and spend the dollars on a CLA and lens hood.
    I second that , took the case and caps off when I got the rollei put a lens hood on the camera and they have not been on the camera since.

rgds
    Dustym
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    from an owner of a 3.5E.. I believe that an f/3.5 lens that is either a Tessar or Xenar (Zeiss/Schnieder).. uses Bay I accessories... and an f/3.5 Xenotar or Planar. uses Bay II accessories. I'll second Chaska's recommendation of getting a lens hood only.. if shooting is the primary concern.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron, to answer your question: it's a Bay I. All Rolleiflexes with f/3.5 Tessar or Xenar lenses use Bay I accessories.

Chaska's points are all dead on. I have a bunch of cases and caps in storage. All my Rolleiflexes (don't ask how many) have lens hoods mounted on them. To elaborate a bit: The lenses on the Rolleflex are unprotected and in proximity to the camera's controls. Without the hood, it's easy to smudge the lens with an errant finger. And it serves an important role as a bumper, protecting the lens against doorknobs, pavement and so on. Not to mention its utility in controlling flare.

Sanders.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another recomendation for a lens hood only here. I take my Rolleicord out with a lens hood on. I don't bother with the case or lens caps. I dont even bother with a bag for it as I used to end up walking around holding the camera with an empty bag to carry as well.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And if you walk around with it hanging from some kind of over grown gold chain around your neck, people will think you are some kind of famous rapper... (or other novelty self important persona)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I agree about removing the case, but I'm not convinced about not using the lens caps. Maybe it's just because it can be wet and windy quite often here, but I've found the front elements can get quite dirty just wandering around with it in Rapper mode. It only takes a few seconds to remove the cap and replace with the hood, a lot cheaper than a new lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with everyone else, bayonet #1 is what you need. Many Rollei accessories were of brilliant design, the cases weren't. They need to be pulled outwards at the front to get the camera in, after a while the stitching rips - in fact, I would think you won't find a case that doesn't need stitching. If you want a compact case, the padded pouches made for 35 mm SLRs plus a small zoom lens are great for a Rollei (possibly upside down) - the case will fit on your belt if necessary. The regular leather cases are not dust- or rainproof and don't provide much protection against knocks either. I have also never used a lenscap (except when sending a camera for servicing). If you really want to use one, there are 2 kinds - one is a one-piece item made of hard rubber which is guaranteed to fall off the camera, the other upmarket version is metal and of two-piece design, the two pieces being connected by a hinge. This bayonets into one lens and then turns and snaps into the other. If you want a lenscap, this type will at least stay put.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree with all here.

Lowepro Nova Micro is my Rollei bag. Enough room for an incident meter in the front pocket, some film, and my Automats fit in the bag with the hood on. Its a bit too tight for my 2.8E + hood though.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin