Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,867   Online: 806

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like the TLR, then your choice is the Mamiya C-series, as it's the only one with interchangable lenses. (yes, the Koni-Omega is out there, but similar to Bigfoot in terms of ones you'll ever see)

If you want an SLR, there are several, all discontinued, choices, but a 6x6 or 6x7 Bronica isn't unreasonable, and the lenses are often less expensive than the TLR ones.

Still, give them a try first, as the dedicated lens TLRs are compact in a manner which none of the other options are. A C220 with a couple of lenses is far heavier than your Yashica, which may matter when hiking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a 6x7 for sale in the classifieds. (hint, hint).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Center for Desease Control just called. I have pegged the needle on their machines with this photography bug I have.[/FONT]

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Like others always say, "it depends on what you want to shoot". My first MF was the RB-67 (90mm and 180mm). I had a small studio to shoot it in and loved it. Last spring I moved to NJ and a much smaller living space. I got a Yashica-124, used it all summer long chasing the kids, going on walks and loved it. In 8 months I've used the RB once.

In my new life out here if I'm using a tripod there's a LF camera on it. Otherwise I'm shooting the Yashica or one of the Dianas.

I'd say go with whatever sounds like the most fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the all time best and a classic.

Baby Speed Graphic (or Crown or Century) is light weight and does nearly everything you will ever need. 6x7 Roll film back. Or, full size 4x5 with 6x7 roll film back. This use to be the most popular camera for pros. Can do some of the jobs of a View Camera, Field Camera, Extreme Close Ups, Rangefinder Camera, Point & Shoot, has interchangeable lens, backs, and is very rugged. Very little to go wrong compared with the more complex camera.

If you decide to get a bigger enlarger, 6x9, you can add another back. Or, 4x5, etc. Did I mention interchangeable roll film backs with different films in it or preloaded. Price these against other SLR backs for blads or other similar.

Always one of my favorites.
    JMHO
    Jim
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What exactly are you after? Portable and light weight? Suitable for handheld shooting? Close focusing? Interchangeable film magazines? Leaf shutter? Its difficult to find one camera that can do it all.

My approach is to use TLRs for the portable, light weight and handheld role, and an interchangeable lens 6x6 SLR system for the remainder of my requirement. Any 6x6 or 6x7 SLR system should work well - there were really none made that weren't intended for professional use.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for for your responses. This gives me some good ideas to think about as I begin to look for my next medium format.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Coming from a yashica, here are some good options for you:
    1. A Rolleiflex with a planar lens would be a nice straightforward upgrade and would not cost you too much. Many people rave about the quality of the Rolleis.
    2. you said you wanted more lens options. As mentioned before a mamiya TLR would fit the bill. the C330 has all the bells and whistles but i found it was excessive. I prefered the C33 with auto shutter cocking but otherwise simple design (and can be had for a song on ebay!). However both of these are heavy and clunky compared to the yashica. The C220 is much lighter that either but you have to cock the shutter separately from the film advance. There are alot of lenses out there and they vary widely in date of manufacture, amount of use, and thus quality i suppose. i havent heard too many stellar reviews of the optics either. But im not a regular user of them. I have a c33 i dust off every once in a while.
    3. i wont go into the various MF SLR's, but suffice it to say they are all bigger, heavier, and very expensive. The mamiya is the biggest (ITS FRIGGING HUGE!), but also probably the cheapest for a system. The mamiya is reliable, straightforward, and good quality though. Again, people dont fall in love with the lenses except maybee the latest KL's. The 'Blads are beautiful, compact, have wonderful optics, but are the most expensive of the bunch.
    4. Dont count out the graflexes either. they have many lenses available or even adaptable. The rangefinder can be adjusted for any one lens (takes a couple hours but its dead-on accurate) The common lens on them is a 101mm raptar or ektar which is ok, some have an 80mm f2.8 Xenotar which is a fabulous lens (i have one).
    5. Another option is the rangefinder cameras including mamiya press, mamiya 7/6. graflex Xl, koni omega, and Fuji. These all have good quality lenses and may have a good option for you in one. I havent owned any so i will not comment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    on a side note, dont think about it in terms of what is the best camera, but what camera will fit you best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a yashica, Rollie, and a few other tlrs, a Pentacon 6tl with lenses from 45 to 250mm and a Century Graphic. The century graphic (6X9) is the most versatile of the bunch. I put a 100/4.5 (four element) lens from a Kodak Monitor on a lens board and tried it on the Century. The results are excellent with more of an "old-world" look than the 80/2.8 Xenotar that I use as a standard lens. Some other lens-shutter examples I have are 105/3.5 Colour-Heliar, 135/4.5 Tominon and 170/6.3 Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat (!) A few roll film backs (RB67 backs fit) and you are ready to go.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a user of two MF systems myself, i found that there was only a point in getting the second if it would help me get different shots than I could obtain with my Bronicas. So I bought a 67 rangefinder , that gives me a different format, better portability, a less conspicuous appearance that means I get to photograph in places where 'porfessional' cameras are discouraged. I get to avoid a tripod in large measure, and I get to make great, flexibly sized panoramics by cutting them right out of the 67 film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin