Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,009   Online: 1181
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    99
    Images
    61

    2nd medium format camera suggestions

    I have been using a yashica mat 124G for about a year now. I love this camera and will never sell it but I would like to purchase another medium format. I borrowed 2 mamiya m645's from a friend of a friend who was selling them but both turned out to have shutter problems so I ended up nothing to go by to see what kind of negative this camera can produce. my enlarger is a besseler 67 so I was considering maybe a 6x7. Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Tony

  2. #2
    Justin Cormack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    182
    6x6 and 6x7 are only 17% different. Is that what you are looking for? What do you want to do that you cant?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Italia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,680
    Like Justin said what features do you want to add?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sipes View Post
    I have been using a yashica mat 124G for about a year now. I love this camera and will never sell it but I would like to purchase another medium format. I borrowed 2 mamiya m645's from a friend of a friend who was selling them but both turned out to have shutter problems so I ended up nothing to go by to see what kind of negative this camera can produce. my enlarger is a besseler 67 so I was considering maybe a 6x7. Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Tony
    'Baby' Linhof with Linhof 6x7 (56x72mm) back. A very different camera with a completely different range of applications (including hand-held with the rangefinder!).

    Yes, 6x7 is only 25-30 per cent bigger (not 17%) if you print all in; but if you normally crop to a rectangle, it can be over 50 per cent bigger.

    Cheers,

    R.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    99
    Images
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    6x6 and 6x7 are only 17% different. Is that what you are looking for? What do you want to do that you cant?
    I'm looking for something with more options for lenses. Mabye a wide angle and a a good lens for portraits.

  6. #6
    resummerfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,281
    You already have the 6x6, so I would look for something in 6x7. If you want a variety of lenses, your best choice would be a SLR. Look into the Pentax 67 system, or maybe the RB67 system. Both are selling very cheaply now, and both would give you an excellent system.
    —Eric

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    99
    Images
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    'Baby' Linhof with Linhof 6x7 (56x72mm) back. A very different camera with a completely different range of applications (including hand-held with the rangefinder!).

    Yes, 6x7 is only 25-30 per cent bigger (not 17%) if you print all in; but if you normally crop to a rectangle, it can be over 50 per cent bigger.

    Cheers,

    R.
    I am not familiar with the Linhof but will do some research on it.

    Thank you

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Italia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sipes View Post
    I'm looking for something with more options for lenses. Mabye a wide angle and a a good lens for portraits.

    For studio:

    Mamiya RZ67 or RB.

    For walking around Bronica ETRSI.

    Of course you can use either for both but the Mamiya isn't light.

  9. #9
    Paul Sorensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,895
    Images
    26
    I use the RB67 for portraits and I absolutely love it. The rotating back is incredible, and I usually want to print in a rectangle, so for me it is a lot more negative than 6X6. Thanks to the rotating back, a waist level finder is really easy to use, no trying to look at a waist level finder with the camera on its side, which I found to be really irritating with my old Mamiya 645.

    The downside is probably weight and size, if you are looking for something to hand hold. I do a little hand held work with it and it is okay, but I would not be as happy with it if I was doing mostly that.

    RBs are available really cheaply now, check out KEH.com for an idea. I think you can get into a setup with a ProS model camera, a 180mm portrait length lens and a 120 back for about $250 or $300 if you are willing to take bargain condition. (I always do bargain from KEH) There are tons of lenses, most all of them are good, especially if you keep with the C or K lenses.

  10. #10
    wclavey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    253
    Images
    31
    My main MF kit is Mamiya c220 & c3 and assorted lenses. I have 3 "secondary" MF cameras that I use, depending on the circumstance: Bronical s2a (6x6), Ansco Speedex RF (6x6) and Crown Graphic with 6x9 back. I personally like the square format, hence the prevalence of 6x6, but the Crown with 6x9 back gets a good bit of landscape use.

    Basically, with the exception of the 6x9 option, my choice of which camera to use is a function of the type of shooting I expect to be doing and which camera actually fits that circumstance best: the Ansco for casual snapshooting, the Bronica for times when I don't want to worry about the parallax between taking and viewing or special situations requiring seeing exactly what I'm taking, and the Mamiyas when I am doing most of my outdoor, travel or location shooting.
    Last edited by wclavey; 01-15-2007 at 05:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bad spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin