Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,547   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bellow hoods on RB67

Hello,

Is there any advantage to using a bellow-hood v a lens hood in the studio or even on-location? I hear the bellow hood create vingetting and regular lens hoods don't. Is this true?

--Paolo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you set the bellows hood right then it will work just fine. Only potential problem is if you're using wide lenses. I don't remember how wide the Mamiya hood goes but I don't think it goes wide enough for wide angle lenses.

Remember bellows hoods cost quite a bit more so if they didn't work who would buy them?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bellows lens hood is great for studio work because you can adjust them to any lens. Besides, some come with Corkin filter slots at the lens and mask slots in front for specail effects.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jusxt don't use one with the 65 or 50, as it will vignette. The one I bought from KEH was an original version, cheapest way for me to get a 3" gel holder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I have a 180mm lens so I think everything should work out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A late contribution - I bought a big RB67 outfit new about 10 years ago and included a compendium lens hood because I'd never owned one before. For me it was a big mistake - I never used it for a single picture. My best buy in this area was a set of 77 mm metal lens hoods for my 3 lenses (50, 90 and 180) from Active Industries in India - these hoods were ridiculously cheap and I was particularly glad to get rid of the horrible rubber push-on hood for the 50 mm lens, which was always falling off. Furthermore, I always like to have rigid lens hoods, especially for field work, so that I can put lenses down standing on their hoods and know they will not be damaged.

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin