Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,694   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmmm, I have been looking for a pentax LF lens, but in holland they tend to sell for 300 euro.... And As I said I can almost get a rb67 incl. all for that.
    I don;t know if the mayima lensen are off leeser performence. Maybe can someone tell some more on that?
    Game

Shooter
    Large Format

RB vs Pentax

Quote Originally Posted by game View Post
    ok, this is the deal.

I have two camera systems:

a pentax 67 and a sinar f2 (+ some smaller camera's)

I use the f2 for certain project that I have figured out in advance, so once in a while. I use the pentax 67 for going places without a plan.

Now I love the pentax 67. Really love it, but I reached the point where the flash synchronization of 1/30 starts to restrict me...
    I like to shoot more storie-like and people, but the pentax simple is not so good at that sort of work... I could get a leafshutter lens, but they cost a lot and I do not really like that solution...

I am not rushing into other systems here, but I am wondering about the mamiya rb67. I have seen several on ebay and on local second hand sites for not to much, less than my pentax 67 system if i'd sell it.
    Off course I do have questions:

1. Is the rb67-II buch better than the rb67?
    2. Is the rb67 just as good as the pentax in terms of optics?
    3. has the rb67 disadvantages in comparison to the pentax 67 for "slow shots" like landscapes etc.?
    4. has the pentax 67 any plusses in comparison to the rb67?
    5. whats the difference betwen rz and rb?

(6. is bronica of the same quality as mamiya and pentax?)

Thanks a lot for explaining!
    game
    1.)The "II" designation is unfamiliar to me in the RB line. That generally refers to the RZ. The RB models have progressively been the RB67, the RB67 Pro, the ProS, and the last of them was the ProSD, which I personally own.
    2.)Pentax glass is legendary, but anyone would be hard-pressed to show any significant differences in side-by-side comparisons of equally exposed shots, whether they came from Pentax, Mamiya, Bronica, etc.
    3.)I only recently have heard that the Pentax has trouble with some slower hand-held shots due to mirror vibration, say, under 1/250th. You would perhaps be the best judge there. I have routinely gone down to 1/60th hand-held with my RB and the shots are clear and sharp....your mirror is no bigger than mine, so hard to say.
    4.)This is all relative....I wanted the Pentax for years (still do), because it so resembled the feel of all my 35mms. It depends what you shoot. I don't do fashion or portraits, which the RB is famous for, in addition to being perfectly at home in the studio. It is big, heavy, and belongs on a tripod. By comparison, I think the Pentax is suitable to all disciplines, can be more easily hand-held, and has faster shutter speeds for outdoor work. I think the argument for having different backs for switching to color/b&w is lame....c'mon folks, there's only 10 frames to a roll! This brings up another plus for the Pentax, in that when you advance the film, you automatically re-cock the shutter....with the RB, each of those steps is done independently.
    5.)RZ is more electronic, needs bateries for the meter, film advance, etc.
    6.)Yes.

Richard Vaara
    Everett, WA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game View Post
    I don;t know if the mayima lensen are off leeser performence. Maybe can someone tell some more on that?
    Game
    Not sure I got your question right, but seen the preceding post you can rest assured that Mamiya lenses for the RB67 are as sharp as a blade. Mamiya is expecially famous for the superb quality of their optics, there is an absolute consensus on this matter. You can check previous topics here and draw your conclusions.

I do not know what SPECIFIC lens Mr. max_ebb compared to what SPECIFIC Pentax lens and HOW the test was conducted, but I attribe a priori the difference - supposed there was any difference at all, which I strongly doubt - to a factory defective or damaged lens.

Lenses apart, the revolving back, mirror-lock-up feature and leaf shutter will be an extra that will add versatility and steadiness in landscape photography. Just try a 90mm and see. You will keep it forever, granted.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agreed, I would not part with my RZ.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Something that should be mentioned in regards to leaf shutter medium-format SLR cameras such as the RB-67, but not limited to that particular camera, is that there is quite a lag between when you trip the shutter and when the camera actually takes the picture. The camera has to go through a series of actions...close the shutter, move the big mirror up, trip the shutter. This can pose a problem when shooting candids of people until you learn to anticipate the lag and learn to fire early. Also, in particular the RB-67, re-cocking the shutter and advancing the film are two separate tasks. Re-setting the camera (which recocks the shutter and brings the mirror down to viewing position) does not advance the film, which is a separate lever on the film magazine you have to move. I have always thought of the RB and RZ series cameras more as roll film view cameras, because they require the deliberate contemplative techniques more common to view camera operation, albeit with the convenience of reflex viewing and roll film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Something that should be mentioned in regards to leaf shutter medium-format SLR cameras such as the RB-67, but not limited to that particular camera, is that there is quite a lag between when you trip the shutter and when the camera actually takes the picture. The camera has to go through a series of actions...close the shutter, move the big mirror up, trip the shutter. This can pose a problem when shooting candids of people until you learn to anticipate the lag and learn to fire early. Also, in particular the RB-67, re-cocking the shutter and advancing the film are two separate tasks. Re-setting the camera (which recocks the shutter and brings the mirror down to viewing position) does not advance the film, which is a separate lever on the film magazine you have to move. I have always thought of the RB and RZ series cameras more as roll film view cameras, because they require the deliberate contemplative techniques more common to view camera operation, albeit with the convenience of reflex viewing and roll film.
    I have never found the shutter release lag to be a problem when shooting portraits in the studio, but my RB67 would probably be my last choice for shooting candids in the street, well behind my Fuji GW609III or Rollei TLRs, or indeed any 35 mm camera!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I have never found the shutter release lag to be a problem when shooting portraits in the studio, but my RB67 would probably be my last choice for shooting candids in the street, well behind my Fuji GW609III or Rollei TLRs, or indeed any 35 mm camera!
    Exactly so...the shutter lag is easily managable in a controlled studio environment where subjects hold a pose and you are directing them. That is why the RB is a good studio camera, moreso than a candid camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photone,
    Not to be confrontational, but have you actually used an RB for any length of time?

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks David and Erie;

Back to Mr. Photone...the RB67 was never designed for candids, but give me some 800 ISO on a sunny day and I can re-cock the shutter and advance the film in about 1 1/2 seconds thru all 10 frames. Candids don't necessarily require speed...you just need to be ready for that next shot. At 1/400th, I assure you there is no lag.

Richard Vaara
    Everett, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    which is where I was heading, in the real world, the shutter lag is insignificant, I've used 35mm slrs that had as much lag, and plenty of Dslrs have significant lag. Many of the RB's out there have seen heavy use, and minimal care, a properly cleaned and adjusted lens and body have minimal (some say trivial) amounts of shutter lag. If the RB you used displayed noticeable lag, it's probably overdue for a good cleaning and adjustment.

erie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin