Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,636   Posts: 1,648,243   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

mamiya rb67? (question from a pentax 67 user)

ok, this is the deal.

I have two camera systems:

a pentax 67 and a sinar f2 (+ some smaller camera's)

I use the f2 for certain project that I have figured out in advance, so once in a while. I use the pentax 67 for going places without a plan.

Now I love the pentax 67. Really love it, but I reached the point where the flash synchronization of 1/30 starts to restrict me...
    I like to shoot more storie-like and people, but the pentax simple is not so good at that sort of work... I could get a leafshutter lens, but they cost a lot and I do not really like that solution...

I am not rushing into other systems here, but I am wondering about the mamiya rb67. I have seen several on ebay and on local second hand sites for not to much, less than my pentax 67 system if i'd sell it.
    Off course I do have questions:

1. Is the rb67-II buch better than the rb67?
    2. Is the rb67 just as good as the pentax in terms of optics?
    3. has the rb67 disadvantages in comparison to the pentax 67 for "slow shots" like landscapes etc.?
    4. has the pentax 67 any plusses in comparison to the rb67?
    5. whats the difference betwen rz and rb?

(6. is bronica of the same quality as mamiya and pentax?)

Thanks a lot for explaining!
    game
    Last edited by game; 01-25-2007 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1. No, but they are newer.
    2. Not sure, never used a 67.
    3. None.
    4. No idea, see 2 above.
    5. RZ is all electronic, the RB is batteryless.
    6. Yes.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can talk about the RZ.

It's heavy. Yes I bet even heavier then your Pentax. Other then that I think it does it all. For landscapes etc you'll like the rotating back.

The RZ the shutter is electronically timed. So you need a battery. That's the main difference. It will use all RB lenses but with the limitation that you can't get quite as close. The RB can't use RZ lenses.

Which Bronica? The GS or the SQ? Or the ESTRI? The SQ and the ETR line are fairly similar outside of the film size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never handled a pentax 67 but I would say that the rb is perfectly balanced for a tripod, especially with a ball head.
    You can rotate the back so I would say the rb is superior to the pentax for landscape work.
    The optics are great, most of the anecdotes suggest getting C or KL series lenses(these are newer).
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, my main experience is with the RB, but I have played with an RZ and a Pentax.

The Pentax is much lighter and more compact than the RB/RZ.

On the other hand, the Pentax screams "handholdable" with the 35mm-SLR-styling, but the RB/RZ doesn't have any focal plane shutter and is nicely balanced, so it's more handholdable, for some definitions of handholdable.

It works best if you've worked your right arm muscles out enough so that you don't get tired of holding the camera, have big hands to wrap around the bottom of it so as to access all of the controls one-handed, and are tall enough so that when you use the waist-level finder with diopter, you are at a reasonable height.

The Pentax's focal plane shutter will go to 1/1000, the RB/RZ will do 1/400 or 1/500. However, all RB/RZ lenses are leaf-shutter, so they synch at all speeds.

RB67 TTL meters are hard to find. I think my biggest complaint with the RB and RZ series is that they should have built the meter into the body so that I could use it with a waist-level finder.

The RB/RZ encourages landscape and portrait orientations equally. The Pentax encourages just landscape orientation. For some reason, at least for me, this leads to a lot of portrait-orientation landscapes.

The RB/RZ has great close-focusing ability that requires extension tubes on just about every other camera.

The RB/RZ needs different inserts to do 120 or 220, the Pentax just has you flip a lever. The RB/RZ also lets you change backs.

The Pentax has better TTL auto-flash (with the right body and flash) than the Mamiya.

I dono. It's really hard to call one "better" than the other. The RB67 is *great* absolutely *great* for slow methodical shooting inside and outside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, thanks everyone for all the info!!
    very helpfull.
    I think the RB67 is a good choice. If I want to avoid the flash sync problem of the pentax 67 I can either buy a leaf shutter lens, or consider a rb67 system. Actually there is not to much price difference...
    (I can not buy at KEH, since I am form europe and do not send creditcrad copies.... )
    So far I am very positive about what I hear of the mamiya.
    Hopefully someone can elaborate more on this:

I want to use 6x7 primarly. So My choice: mamiya rb67, bronica gs1, pentax 67. The disadvantages of the pentax have been layed out enough.
    How do the mamiya and the bronica compare?
    And: are there 6x6 backs for the rb67?

Thanks for the previous and the next posts, game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From memory.

6x8
    6x7
    6x6
    6x4.5
    Not sure about 35mm -)

The Mamiya is much more common that's the big advantage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you mean, those are the backs available?

Mamiya is more common than bronica and pentax you say, That can be an advantage indeed, thanks for telling.

Anyone else thinks something should be added?
    All I can conclude is that mamiya should be the ''winner'' I understand everyone as preferences, and that there is no best, but the mamiya seems to have the better papers...
    Kind regards Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think the 6x8 is current but it used to be available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IMO (based on my experience) Pentax lenses are notably sharper than RB67 lenses, and they're substantially faster (f2.4 90mm and f2.8 165mm).

The 90mm LS lens for P67 is relatively cheap. I got one for $120.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin