Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,825   Online: 738

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bronica gs-1 AND mamiya rb 67 pro-s

Ok here goes,

Since I want to switch to a leafshutter system, I am going to buy either a bronica gs-1 or a mamiya rb67 pro s, and sell my pentax 67.

Problem: I really can not decide wither I should go bronica or mamiya....
    I've read sevral articles but both systems seem great.
    Hopefullly some guys here can elaborate more on the differences between the two...?

I know the mamiya is heavier, and that the bronica is handier in use. I have worked with the pentax so I guess the weight is not to much of a deal...
    I also know the mamiya has rotating backs, and the bronica does not.
    the bronica also has lesser amount of lenses, but then again, I only use a standard and the slight wide angle...
    off course the bronica is discontinued, but that should not be to big a deal...
    the mayima seem sto pop up a little more often and seem sto be a tad cheaper...
    But that's about where the differences I know end....

so here my questions:

1. Is there more I should know?

2. Does either the mamiya or bronica print shutter/aparture settings on the negative, like the pentax 67-II?

3. is there any optical difference?

4. does either one has any nifty features the other does not have?

Hopefully I can make up my mind with your help!!!
    thanks game

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get the Mamiya.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have just bought a Mamiya RB67 and I think it's great. I like using a waist level viewfinder and I take more vertical pictures than horizontal so the rotating back is perfect for me.

Also, despite its size and weight, I find it easy to use hand held.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game View Post
    Does either the mamiya or bronica print shutter/aparture settings on the negative, like the pentax 67-II?
    I shoot a Pentax 67II and my negs/slides do not have any shooting info on them. Am I understanding this correctly?

I own two RB's and love them. Get the RB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're shooting 6x7, the benefits of the bellows focusing and rotating backs and the possibility of shooting 6x8.
    All I can say about the weight thing is that Steve Smith must be buff as hell.
    The way I see it, if you're going to be hand holding, you should be looking at either a smaller format (Square or 645) or a Rangefinder.
    The real question is, since you've used the Pentax, whats making you not want to just get one of those?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I own an RB ProS and I love it, and I also would rather use the waist level finder rather than the prism finder. I would recommend that if you get the RB, then make sure that you get a Intenscreen by Beattie. The original focusing screens for the RB's are not very bright; it would be well worth the extra cost to get a nice bright screen to focus with.

I can't speak for the Bronica.

Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also own a RB ProS and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I use the metered prism which does add quite a bit of weight, but still I don't have a problem using it hand held.

The lenses are great and there is a good selection to choose from. The rotating back is so helpful, I can't imagine flipping that thing on its side on a tripod to get a vertical shot.

Go with the RB.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I shoot a Pentax 67II and my negs/slides do not have any shooting info on them. Am I understanding this correctly?

I own two RB's and love them. Get the RB.
    The shooting info imprint is a feature of the Pentax 645 line (I think of the 645N and 645NII models). I also have the 67II and if there was a possibility of the imprints, I'd be in heaven... But alas...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok everyone, thanks for the reactions!
    I'll try to answer the questions you asked me, and maybe in the few next posts mor gets obvious... The bronica seems to have lesser enthousiastic responses ere, maybe because not to many people use it?

anyway, my mistake on the pentax 67-II, I ment the pentax654n, that camera uses data print on negatives...
    does either the bronica or the mamiya has any nice special feauteres the other lacks? does either one has a display? or anything else?

To answer the question on why I am going to switch from the pentax 67, has everything to do with the flash sync time... It limits my subjects, and I do not want that. The size and weight of the pentax is fine with me, could easily handhold that. I know the bronica is smaller, but I can not imagine the mamiya is a lot bigger than the pentax 67..
    and to the one suggesting 6x6 or 645, I can say: sorry no can do.

So there remain a few questions:

1. anything on optic differences? which lenses have the best reputation?
    2. any special features on either one?
    3. has either one a really dim focussing screen? dimmer than the pentax?
    4. anything you can think of

THANKS a lot I'll stay tuned - game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi game
    I worked one time in a studio with a Mamiya RB and it is for me much larger and my short fingers had problems for holding it properly!
    I work in my on studio with the Bronica GS 1 and like it much better!
    If you work always with a stand then its the Mamiya to take if you work much with your hands I recomand the GS 1 wich I use since over 20 years and not one service! Nock on wood!
    Armin Seeholzer
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin