Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,468   Online: 882

Thread: what are these?

Shooter
    Multi Format

what are these?

I found these 2 items in a camera bag.
    They're branded mamiya,but what are they?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails object1.jpg   object2.jpg  
    Last edited by eagleowl; 01-31-2007 at 10:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling mistake
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They appear to be an adapter to allow use of a standard cable release on a camera with an electronic shutter release system. Don't know what camera though one seems to have Mamiya molded on it..
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    John

When I graduated college my first job was in Montana. My friends throw me a dental floss party.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are both Mamiya accessories, most likely for the more recent 645 cameras.

They both permit use of a mechanical cable release on a camera that otherwise requires an electronic one. The one on the left also permits you to use the appropriate left side Mamiya handgrip, with both the hand grip trigger release and hand grip hot shoe being fully functional

Now, here is the tricky part.

They probably are for use on either an M645 Super, M645 Pro or M645 Pro Tl. I don't know whether they will also fit a 645E or 645 AF.

The tricky part is determining which camera or cameras they correspond to. The adapters do not have model numbers engraved on them (as far as I have been able to determine) and most of the information available (e.g. on the Mamiya Users forum) just gives model numbers.

The electronic connection is, IIRC, the same in all three cameras, but the physical layout is different between the 645 Super and the 645 Pro/Pro Tl. The bump on the lower left side of the camera body is differently shaped on the different models, and the adapters are differently shaped to fit.

I have both a 645 Super and a 645 Pro and I have the corresponding handgrip for both of them. The adapter that works with the Super, doesn't fit on the Pro, and vice-versa. IIRC, I can interchange the handgrips, but I cannot interchange the adapters.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm pretty sure the one on the left is for the Super to go with the grip (as noted earlier).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt and Greg.
    I've got a super and a 645E,and I'm fairly certain they came as an ebay bundle with the super.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They will both work with the Super, but I'm not sure both will work with the E body. I have Super and Pro bodies, so I can't be certain.

If you search I describe what needs to be done to make a long "electronic" shutter release out of one of those adapters. I have one that is about 50 feet with a simple push button on the end.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin