Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Close-up filters: how close?

I'm considering adding 'close-up filters' to my Pentax 67 system. I'm unclear how much closer I'll be able to get for a given lens with +1, +2, or +3 diopters. Anybody know how to do this calculation?

Thank you. --LG--
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With any lens focussed at infinity, a +1 will give focus at 1 meter from the filter. A +2 at 1/2 meter, and a +3 at 1/3 meter.

This far it's easy. What happens when the lens is focussed at something other than infinity is a bit more complex.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a P67 and a Pentax 2 element close up lens (can't remember which one offhand) so could measure actual distances/size of ruler in viewfinder if that would be useful. 105, 135, 165, 200?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you calculate this for closer focusing? (in other words 1:1 or closer)

I use these diopters on my 120mm LF macro lens. With enough bellows draw for 2:1 magnification, by stacking +1, +2, and +4 filters, I get 6:1 or 7:1 magnification and I can focus an inch away from the subject.
    Paul

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I have a P67 and a Pentax 2 element close up lens (can't remember which one offhand) so could measure actual distances/size of ruler in viewfinder if that would be useful. 105, 135, 165, 200?
    MartinB, I'd be interested to know for the 135 Macro. Thanks.

--LG--
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax T132

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    MartinB, I'd be interested to know for the 135 Macro. Thanks.

--LG--
    LG,

I checked with my Pentax T132 as well as a set of lesser quality 67mm Vivitar diopters that are hanging around. The Pentax close up lens is much higher quality as it has 2 glass elements and I no longer use the Vivitars. I have tubes if I need to get closer. According to the page on Max's link, the Pentax is a +.76 diopter. The Vivitar's are +1, +2 and +4.

With the 135mm macro at its closest focusing distance I measured the distance the from the target to the approximate film plane (I used the serial number on the left top plate as a proxy) Without a close up filter, the 135mm macro can get no closer than 30". Without changing focus on the lens, each higher powered diopter allows the camera to move closer to the target and thus increase the magnification.

I put a ruler on the target and looking through the viewfinder, measured the max length of the long side. An object of that length will fill the frame from side to side. I used the waist level finder since the pentaprism did not see the whole frame. For instance, 16 cm seen using the waist level finder was only 14 cm using the pentaprism.

The second column below is the closest you can get to the target and the last column is the length of the long side of the frame. Intestingly, it looks like you need +4 to get 1:1 magnification using closeup diopters on the Pentax 67 135mm macro lens.

-----------target to film plane-----------length of long side

no filter------[ 30"......76cm ]------------[ 8 1/2".....22cm]

T132---------[ 24"......61cm ]------------[ 6 1/4".....16cm ]

+1-----------[ 22"......56.5cm ]-----------[ 5 1/2".....14cm ]
    +2-----------[ 18.5" ...47cm ]-------------[ 4"..........10.5cm ]
    +4-----------[ 15"......38.5cm ]------------[ 2 3/4".....7 cm ]

Martin

Images
    Thanks, that's good info. --LG--
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    35mm
    Avoid the one element lenses like the plague. They're uniform, as in terrible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 67 Instruction Manual on their CLOSE UP Lenses

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/m...-Up_Lenses.pdf

Dan
    www.antiquecameras.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin