Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,102   Online: 1237

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would recommend a Zeiss Ikon 520/2 Ikonta with a Tessar lens. These can be had for between $30 and $75.

If you want something cheaper, you can find one with the Novar lens.

The 520/2 is a zone-focus camera.

A step up would be the rangefinder-equipped 530/2 or 531/2 and generally a big jump in price to more than $200 and up to $400 or more.

If you don't mind respooling, you could consider a Nagel Vollenda 620 -- the 6x9 version or one of the many Kodak 6x9 folding cameras.

Prewar cameras will have uncoated lenses and most -- but not all -- postwar cameras will have coated lenses.

I forgot my standard line: Almost all of these cameras probably should be serviced. Common problems are gummed-up shutters, dirty viewfinders and focusing helicals that need to be cleaned and re-lubricated, and you should always check that the bellows are light tight.
    Last edited by elekm; 02-04-2007 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can speak favorably for the Voightlander Bessa 1. The one I got recently does very well.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just ordered a 6x9 folder myself from Jurgen (www.certo6.com) on Friday.

I've been wanting to shoot something in 6x9 format for a while, but always though the folders of that vintage were expensive for some reason (and the Fuji 690 RFs are no bargain either). I was at a photog meet last weekend and a friend brought his newly acquired AGFA Billy Record II and told me how cheap he got it for from certo6, after which I spent the better part of last week corresponding with Jurgen and narrowing down my pick.

Seeing firsthand the quality of his work, it's really hard to turn elsewhere, especially considering how reasonable his prices are and the fact that all cameras are CLA'd before being sold. The folder my friend had looked practically brand new and even had a new bellows put on it (you can still smell the glue on it, if that's your thing! ) Jurgen says that cameras that aren't in excellent condition, given their age, become parts cameras.

I had narrowed it down to three, but it was a really tough choice:

1) AGFA Billy Record II or III - Seeing my friend's firsthand, I knew what to expect in terms of quality. Plus all the AGFAs get new bellows, your choice of colour.

2) Moskva 5 - Sort of Holga-esque quality to it, but in 6x9. There's some really neat photos taken with this camera on Flickr. The copy he has is in almost perfect condition and I was given the option of buying it before he put it on 'that big auction site', where it is currently posted.

3) Voigtlander Bessa I - I've read good things about the quality of this folder. Plus it's a freakin' Voigtlander! I ended up going with this one.

As tmike says, check out www.certo6.com. He's got more information on there than you'll ever need to make your decision.

I'm really eager to get my Bessa I!
    Derrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Jurgen Krekel at certo6.com -- a class act with first-rate reconditioned folders and fair prices.

My Melanie swears by her Agfa Record III. She pulls amazing images out of it. Hers has the cheaper ut still very good Apotar lens. I doubt that the pricier Solinar would add much to the image.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my Bessa from Jurgen last fall and I love it. Inexpensive and the negatives are as sharp as when I shoot with my Blad ( color Skopar lens). Very easy to carry around no mirror shake. This forum recommended it and I love it.

Cheers Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He has an Ercona I with Tessar on eBay, or at least he did the last time that I looked.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got a cool old voigtlander berheil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sienarot View Post
    2) Moskva 5 - Sort of Holga-esque quality to it, but in 6x9. There's some really neat photos taken with this camera on Flickr. The copy he has is in almost perfect condition and I was given the option of buying it before he put it on 'that big auction site', where it is currently posted.
    Not what I see in my Mockba. Nice camera. Not as sharp as, say, my 105mm Ektar on my mini-speed, but good enough for most things.

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I've got a cool old voigtlander berheil.
    The Bergheil is likely to be a 6.5x9cm plate camera, not a 6x9 rollfilm camera. But I agree - they're nice. Especially with the 120mm Heliar lens...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, if it doesn't have to fit in a pants pocket then consider a 2x3 press camera. As for example the unjustly despised Century Graphic. Press cameras offer better rigidity and are more durable than any of the pocketable folders, also allow interchangeable lenses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin