Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,817   Online: 976

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, if it doesn't have to fit in a pants pocket then consider a 2x3 press camera. As for example the unjustly despised Century Graphic. Press cameras offer better rigidity and are more durable than any of the pocketable folders, also allow interchangeable lenses.
    Where do you get film for the old 2x3 press cameras?

Agreed that press cameras can be a blast. Just bought a 4x5 Burke & James press camera around the New Year, and am pleased with it. Am enjoying shooting a few shots and then processing them, instead of having to finish an entire roll.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A 6x9 folder may fit into the pockets of some cargo pants, but I predict it will make for a gimpy walk.

Folders are like 57 Chevrolet Bel-Aires, unrestored examples run the gamet from mostly unusable to useable, but with hiccups. Find an already restored example or be ready for longish wait along with a hefty repair bill.

Personally, Im very happy with my two Agfa Records, a Billy II and a Record III. I actually prefer the look that I get with my 3 element Apotar on the Billy II over the reputedly better Solinar that is a Tessar copy. I can easily fit one and its accessories into a slim 10" by 10" satchel along with a Leica fitted with a collapsible lens.

So long as they have new bellows installed, Agfa are good shooters. The self erecting front standards on the Agfas lock down solidly and there is no wobble as on some Voigtlanders I've handled. I do have a 6x6 Voigtlander Perkeo II and will probably never part with it.

On the Record III, it has a key hole viewfinder and a not so smooth shutter release. To improve composition fit a Leitz 5cm bright-line finder in the accessory shoe and only use the built-in window when using the RF apparatus. A well made soft touch button threaded on to the shutter release will make using 1/50th of a second more managaeable.

Good luck and happy shooting.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only complaint I have ever had about my Moskva 5 is the whole hand reversal thing, which I find confusing for some reason (on Exakta's too, but they are easier to hold). But the quality of the pics is pretty impressive. The only Agfa's I have used have been 6x6, but the bodies are pretty well built.

As for the Mini-Graphics, J&C was still carrying 2x3 sheet film, and presumably will again. Also, the later models can take roll film holders in a Graflok back. But no press camera is pocketable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe Dad will get ultra lucky and get a Horseman with a rotating 6x9 back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Where do you get film for the old 2x3 press cameras?
    120 film in a roll holder. I have Graflex brand to fit Graflok backs (good reason to get a Graphic with a Graflok instead of one of the competitors with a spring back) and Adapt-A-Roll 620s (slip in like sheet film holders, can feed from a 120 spool but MUST take up on a 620 spool, the reason why buying a press camera with a spring back doesn't have to be a bad mistake).

That's where I get film for my old 2x3 press cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
    Just another press camera ...

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
    Or without - don't forget the 970/980 Series Horseman, which are pretty versatile, but not small or light. My 980 is about the same size and weight as my 4x5 Speed Graphic - though of course it has a lot more in the way of movements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    120 film in a roll holder. ...
    That's where I get film for my old 2x3 press cameras.
    Interesting - thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The Bergheil is likely to be a 6.5x9cm plate camera, not a 6x9 rollfilm camera. But I agree - they're nice. Especially with the 120mm Heliar lens...
    ;

My bergheil has the rollex-patent 120 roll film back. 105mm heliar f3.5... no plate holders. I would love to find a glass back and a dark slide for my roll film holder though.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Dustym,

If you are looking for versatility and you don't mind the bulk and weight, go for a press camera with a rollfilm back, like suggested by Dan.

If you are looking for a pocketable camera with a coupled rangefinder, go for for a Bessa E (Bessa RF), like this one. It goes for much less than the overpriced Bessa II or Super Ikonta, is equipped with the best lenses of the trade (5 element Heliar or 4 element Skopar) and is reasonably well constructed.

For even less money, there are lots of folders with scale focusing lenses or with uncoupled rangefinders.

With all these old cameras equipped with bellows and a delicate folding mechanism, just make sure you buy from a reputable seller offering a rock solid return policy.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin