Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,862   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mamiya TLR models - Cxxx Cxx etc

Can somebody explain or point me to a resource explaining the difference between these mamiya TLRs? I can't imagine there would be much differentiating them (e.g. the C330, C33, C220, etc) as they're pretty basic, aren't they? Just a box with a finder, bellows, film holder, and a place to mount a lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is good a place to start as any:
    http://www.lumieresenboite.com/colle...&c=Mamiya_C220
    All Mamiya TLRs are equally well built and good to take pictures with, it's mainly a question of the presence or not of linked film/shutter wind and parallax correction indication. I have owned C330s, C330f and C3 - as far as I recall, the 3[xxx] models are more sophisticated. I suppose the cameras are "basic" insofar as they don't have built-in metering, powered film wind or whatever, they are in fact quite cleverly designed in terms of bellows for close focusing, a light baffle to cover the film while lens changing, and a viewfinder indicator for parallax correction. The "Paramender" was a thing of wonder, by raising the taking lens to where the viewing lens was when composing the picture, it completely cures parallax error!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    they are fairly basic. i love my c33 (just had to throw that in).

i will mention the ubiquitous TLR FAQ by graham patterson who is a member here.

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...q/m_faq-1.html

c.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great, thanks. I hadn't had any luck with google.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by areaeleven View Post
    i will mention the ubiquitous TLR FAQ by graham patterson who is a member here.

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...q/m_faq-1.html

c.
    Beat me to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=David H. Bebbington;427352]This is good a place to start as any:
    http://www.lumieresenboite.com/colle...&c=Mamiya_C220
    All Mamiya TLRs are equally well built and good to take pictures with, it's mainly a question of the presence or not of linked film/shutter wind and parallax correction indication. I have owned C330s, C330f and C3 - as far as I recall, the 3[xxx] models are more sophisticated. I suppose the cameras are "basic" insofar as they don't have built-in metering, powered film wind or whatever, they are in fact quite cleverly designed in terms of bellows for close focusing, a light baffle to cover the film while lens changing, and a viewfinder indicator for parallax correction. The "Paramender" was a thing of wonder, by raising the taking lens to where the viewing lens was when composing the picture, it completely cures parallax error!

Paramenders are a great idea David I've had one for years, but if you don't have one, or don't have it with you, the distance between the lenses is 2", so if you raise the centre column of your tripod by 2" after composing your picture works very well too.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While we're talking Mamiya TLR quirks, we shouldn't forget the metering prism. As I recall (it was a while ago), this had a metering cell about 5 mm in diameter on the end of a pivoted arm about 4 cm long. Moving this arm out of its park position turned the meter on, you could then spot-meter anything that fell within the arc which the metering cell described as it moved over the focusing screen. I've never heard of another MF meter working in this way, there are of course LF metering backs which do.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The C220 series was aimed at the amateur market, and the C330 at the professional market which required a little more robustness. The C330 have coupled lens cocking and wind on, the C220 require these to be done separately. The lens, and as far as I know accessories all are interchangeable. I used a C330s extensively, until about 6 months ago, for infrared work to which it is admirable suited since the opaque red filter could stay in place all the time. It is an excellent range of cameras, apart from anything else it will get you away from eye-level work, as well as slowing you down; both could be smart moves.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Mamiya ran the two cameras ranges in parallel eg C22 with C33, C220 with C330. I bought my C220 new in 1977 and it has been a real workhorse though I haven't had cause to use it in recent years as my circumstances have changed. But I can't bear to part with it!

I do recollect there were just a very few accessories that would only fit the C330 series but off the top of my head I can't recall what they were. All the lenses (which range from 55mm w/a to 250mm tele) will fit both.

The only downside to the cameras was that they are relatively heavy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    Mamiya ran the two cameras ranges in parallel eg C22 with C33, C220 with C330. I bought my C220 new in 1977 and it has been a real workhorse though I haven't had cause to use it in recent years as my circumstances have changed. But I can't bear to part with it!

I do recollect there were just a very few accessories that would only fit the C330 series but off the top of my head I can't recall what they were. All the lenses (which range from 55mm w/a to 250mm tele) will fit both.

The only downside to the cameras was that they are relatively heavy.
    Between the C220 and the C330, only the 330 series will take the interchangeable screens.

In addition, the additional shutter release on the C330 interfaces with the left hand grip with trigger. It also offers a "front-to-back" travel - something I find can really aid image sharpness. As my earlier post on this thread indicates, these can be a big advantages.

By the way, when considering size and weight, be sure to compare size and weight of camera with lenses. The bellows focusing built into the camera means that almost all the lenses (the 250mm being the clear exception) are of relatively the same size and weight. As a result, a 55mm, 80mm and 135mm plus camera body kit may be closer than you think in size and weight to a similar kit in a supposedly smaller and lighter camera - specially one with leaf shutters.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin