Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,588   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Photography stores in... BELIZE ???

I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any info on purchasing new or used equipment in Belize City? I will be visiting later this month, and was wondering if I might be able to get nice prices compared to US prices.

Any store names and addresses with info would help, thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try http://www.acecam.com for listings all over the place. 36 countries, I believe. A good resource.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Belize City is a dump - or at least it was since I last visited. Look out for the open air sewers. I would not buy photography equipment there. Also, I slept with a stocking cap over my ears because a roach crawled into my ear and got stuck there. Not an experience that I recommend.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Belize City is a dump - or at least it was since I last visited. Look out for the open air sewers. I would not buy photography equipment there. Also, I slept with a stocking cap over my ears because a roach crawled into my ear and got stuck there. Not an experience that I recommend.
    Wow, that sucks. I recieved a free cruise from the inlaws, and I was hoping one of the ports would have some decent camera shops. I guess Belize City will not be the one. I'll probably end up taking one of those outrageously overpriced cruise excursions.

God, I really do not like the idea of a cruise, especially since I have been backpacking for the past 10 years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If Belize City is out of the question, what about Cozumel Mexico, Santo Tomas De Castilla (or Livingstion and Puerto Barillos) Guatemala?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ebay!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your best bet will be Cozumel, for having ANYTHING. But if I were you, I'd save your camera buying for someplace more first world, or even second world. Belize is barely third world, especially Belize City. If you were out on the Cayes (Ambergris Caye being the most developed of the lot), you could find some camera gear, almost exclusively related to dive photography. And it would most likely come at a significant premium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Belize is a great place ... but not to shop for photo equipment. Cozumel is a tourist trap and Santo Tomás, Livingston and Puerto Barrios are typical small, laid-back third-world towns where you can get beer, laid and weed. If you find photo gear, it is probably stolen ...

Peace,
    Peter
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that US prices for used photo gear are about as low you're going to find anywhere in the world. North America is relatively affluent compared to much of Central and South America. South of the US of A, camera gear of almost any kind is mostly, only for the very rich and thus, in relatively short supply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Humidity has already destroyed the 8 cameras in Belize.
    art is about managing compromise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin