Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,267   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Busch Pressman Model C Film Size

Hi,

I'm confused about film sizes! I have recently acquired a lovely condition Busch Pressman Model C camera - but I'm totally confused about the size of film it takes - 6x9, 6.5x9, 2x3, 2.25 x 3.25... and so on.

Can anybody help? I really want to use this camera, but I want to get the right size for the film holders too!

Many thanks,
    David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the US, where they were made, these cameras took 2x3 cut film holders that accepted 2x3 film. 6x9 is a poor metric approximation to 2.25" x 3.25". 2x3 is short for 2.25" x 3.25". 6.5x9 is a metric size and really is larger than 2x3.

2x3 cameras with spring backs, also called Graphic backs, accept Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holders. These slip in like cut film holders and use, as the name indicates, 620 film. 620 film is the same as 120 film, the difference between the two is the spool's dimensions. Many more emulsions are available in 120 than as 2x3 cut film.

An AAR 620 will feed perfectly well from a 120 spool, must take up on a 620 spool. A trimmed 120 spool as advocated by many people who don't have AAR 620s won't do. Yes, I use AAR 620s with my 2x3 Graphics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Dan. The initial confusion sprang up because the person I got the camera from mentioned that it needed 6x9 (cm) sheet film and not 6.5x9 (cm) sheet film.

From what you say, all I actually need is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film and that will fit my DDS holders.

Cheers,
    David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Efke 2.25x3.25 and I also use an adapt-a-roll. This contraption is really quite useful but loading it the first time is quite an experience. Mine requires a 620 take-up spool but loads fine from 120. The Model C is a very nice little piece of gear. 2.25x3.25 holders are quite cheap on the 'bay these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit that I have heard about the Adapt-A-Roll, but I specifically wanted sheet film so that I could develop each picture individually. The Model C that I have is in brilliant condition - these cameras appear to be very well made indeed and have all the movements I could ever want. I plan to use it as my travel camera for my forays around the Ardeche region in France, where I travel to on a fairly regular basis. Check out http://www.davidvickers.co.uk/gallery_48761.html which contains some pictures I took with my previous travel camera - a Kodak Medalist II.

Thank you both for the help.
    David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Busch Pressman C uses 2x3 or 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film in sheet film holders in the spring back. I bought one that was mint, nearly new, and got the Grafmatic holders and a bunch of 2x3 holders. I measured the camera and measured the Graphic 2x3 and found that a Graflok back would fit on the Busch Pressman so I made the conversion. Now I have a camera that can use sheet in film holders and in the Graphic "23" roll holders, which are really nice because the 120 roll film choice is better than sheet film. I have a Kalart finder that is spot on and with the roll film holder in I have a nice setup for multiple exposures. The Graphic roll holders come in 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 or 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. They are called "22" and "23". That gives a choice of size and quantity on roll film until Ilford comes out with Pan F in 2x3 sheet film size. It's a nice camera to use.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grafmatics are nice, with their 6 sheet capacity, but awfully tight under most Model C fucus panels. If you want to use one, it may require a little washer under each fucus panel spring to keep from over stressing things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grafmatics are nice, with their 6 sheet capacity, but awfully tight under most Model C focus panels. If you want to use one, it may require a little washer under each focus panel spring to keep from over stressing things.

Glenn is right, that's what started me on the path of back replacement. I was unscrewing the screws to take the pressure off the springs. I am using the Grafmatics with the Graflok back now.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C is a nice camera. I have seen them at photo shows and they seem well built. I have both a 2x3 Speed and 2x3 Crown, nice little cameras. I use a "22" roll film back on mine as I have never been pleased with the "23" backs that have wandered into my existance. I also have a graphmatic or two as well as a number of Type 5 film holders. I don't use them very much as I find the film... too little. It's a pain to load, a pain to process, it's a pain to print.I wind up putting it between two sheets a glass before putting it in the enlarger and then you have to fight Newton rings.

Heck, just give me a roll of 120 PanF and I'll be happy as a clam. If I am shooting sheet film, I stick to the larger 3x4, 4x5, and 5x7. More film real estate for the effort buck.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tim, why is it that you were unhappy with the Type 23 backs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin