Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,783   Posts: 1,671,262   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kiev 88 - has anyone used it?

Hi,

Im very close to buying a Kiev 88, supposedly its the russian version of the 'blad. Has anyone used this camera and do you have any tips/advice? Is it easy to use? Good results? Any feedback would help. Thanks guys, love ya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the lenses on Kiev 6C and 60s. The lenses are fine.

My question for you is why?

A few years back they sort of made sense. Lenses were cheap. Bodies cheap.

Today? In good condition they don't seem much/any cheaper then a Bronica SQ or a Mamiya RB/RZ. Or if you're looking at a 645 version then plenty of other 645 choices.

So what is attracting you at the moment?

Main draw for me would be the fisheye lens. That alone might justify getting a body.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw one on craigslist for $200 including everything. I had a pentax 67 for a while, my second one, both of them had shutter issues. Its time to move on, you know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 6C and 60s have been fairly problem free. But I would never suggest moving to a Kiev to avoid camera problems. With luck you'll get a great body. But you might not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's not the direction I'd move if you want something that is mechanically reliable.

MF gear is really cheap right now. There are outstanding deals to be had on RB/RZ 67, Hasselblad 500 C/M, and Bronica cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Havenot used one but tried one at a camera fare once. Was inpressed with its quality, it is a V series copy and some of the bits are interchangeable, prisms for one. It probably will not take the workload of a Hasselblad over 25 years but it will not cost nearly as much either.

OK I baught a second hand Hasselblad, but it has taken 4 years to be able to afford 2spare backs and 1 additional lens. With the Kiev you could get the whole kit for what I payed for the camera.

Enjoy it, it is a good bit of kit.

Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can often get an RB kit for the same amount. I kick myself everytime I see another go by for $200-$250 and don't buy it, but I have enough cameras for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Havenot used one but tried one at a camera fare once. Was inpressed with its quality, it is a V series copy and some of the bits are interchangeable, prisms for one. It probably will not take the workload of a Hasselblad over 25 years but it will not cost nearly as much either.

OK I baught a second hand Hasselblad, but it has taken 4 years to be able to afford 2spare backs and 1 additional lens. With the Kiev you could get the whole kit for what I payed for the camera.

Enjoy it, it is a good bit of kit.

Regards Paul.
    The Kiev 88 (and 88CM) are not copies of the V series Hassleblad. Kiev 88 Prisms and viewfinders can be used on the V series Hassleblads - but nothing else.

I have 3 Kiev 88 CMs and 1 regular Kiev 88. The Kiev build quality and Quality Conrol are all over the place. If you get lucky and get a good one...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of 88CM's and lots of lenses. I even have a polaroid back for them. They are fine cameras, but the assembly of the average one is poor. The best advice I can give is to puchase from a good reliable dealer that offers warranty. With that in mind, they can be good cameras. The only one to get would be the late models that have the Pentacon 6 lens mount. Earlier Kiev cameras had a propriatery lens mount not shared with other cameras.

Images
    I have owned two. One for a back up and one for a user. I got rid of the back up because my user was dead on. Three years of hard use and never a problem. I got lucky. I think mine was one of the last to come out of the old Hartblei factory, when folks knew who they actually were. Since getting more heavily into LF I put it up, but have a project I will be using it for, on a daily basis. I ran the shutter through its paces and I expected it to have issues since I have not touched it in a year. No problems aside from the dust.

Phototone gives the best advice. Go with a reputable dealer. ARAX, had a pretty good reputation and were some really nice folks.

As for the other MF cameras: The bodies may be cheap but the glass will kill you. One person's "cheap" is still my "way too expensive". I never regretted buying my Kiev. I even have it in the dreaded B mount.

It can be frustrating if you do not get a good one though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin