Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,341   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad focusing screen mess

Hi there,

Focusing woes again - I have my 500C in for a CLA (since Feb 8th... :rolleyes: ), and they claim they can't install a new focusing screen because, well, it's not possible to install another screen because it's not a CM. I sent an Acute Matte D in with the CLA (which they lost first, took them a week to find it in the brown envelope with big red letters saying "EINSTELLSCHEIBE" on it). They destroyed the screen that came with the camera and told me they'll now install a regular screen that "fits my model". Has anyone ever experienced something like that? I thought it wasn't possible to get a screen that isn't compatible with my model.

Please tell me they're just slightly incompetent and that I'll get my Hassy back alive and well... *sigh*

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had David Odess install a Brightscreen brand screen in my 500C while doing a CLA, NO problems at all. Great screen!

Good luck

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    I thought any screen could be installed on an older C, but I'm no expert. Perhaps for a "second opinion", you could post a question on Hasselbladinfo.com, giving the particulars and serial number of your camera. There are several experts who watch that site, including Q. G. de Bakker or David Odess.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My time of owning a 500c was quite a while ago, but if memory serves me, you can certainly can change screens in the 500C, but it requires turning screws, as opposed to a more user friendly system in the C/M's. It may well be that C/M screens are not installable in a 500C however. But an informed second opinion is certainly worthwhile. A different shop might be worthwhile as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like they're not all that competant with the Hasselblad.
    The screen's held in with four screws through a frame. The main difference is that there are springs pushing the screen upward toward the frame & the screen needs to be adjusted for accuracy of focus. Obviously the CM screens are drop-ins.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys... That's what I feared. Sadly, I cannot just get the camera back and send it somewhere else because I already signed to have it CLA'd - TWELVE days ago! They told me it would take one week including shipping... Well, I'll look for another repair shop next time. This was the biggest one with the best record I could find. This is so frustrating. I should have sent it in *before* becoming attached to it at least. Ow. Hurts.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What really annoys me is that this guy told me cheerfully on the phone that "There is a problem with your camera", as if breaking it while performing a maintenance task was either my problem or my camera's. I think it was the cheerful part that did it... After some explaining on his part, I asked him what he expected me to say now (probably something like "Oh, don't worry honey, it's not your fault, just bill me 300 bucks for it"), and then he told me they were replacing the screen with a standard one and basically hung up on me.

Antje, furious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I "think" to use the 500CM screen all that needs to happen is remove the metal frame. I "think" the actual screen is the same.

I'm sure someone will know for sure about the c vs CM.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John's right. The C/M has interchangeable screens (that is, you change them yourself by releasing two small metal levers on their sides) and the C doesn't.

That means that in order to change the focusing screen of a C, you have to unscrew the frame that holds it, putting its alignment in danger. If you don't install it correctly, the camera might not focus accurately. The repairman might have messed with it and broken or scratched it. The new screens (for the C/M) probably won't fit the C.

If you need more detailed info on that, PM me and I will try to contact my friend the Hassie repairman.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    What really annoys me is that this guy told me cheerfully on the phone that "There is a problem with your camera", as if breaking it while performing a maintenance task was either my problem or my camera's. I think it was the cheerful part that did it... After some explaining on his part, I asked him what he expected me to say now (probably something like "Oh, don't worry honey, it's not your fault, just bill me 300 bucks for it"), and then he told me they were replacing the screen with a standard one and basically hung up on me.

Antje, furious
    Dear Antje,

Have you a Small Claims Court in Germany? In the UK, this sort of thing can be handled comparatively cheaply and easily (much easier than a normal court action).

I'd be inclined to write to them saying that you have no confidence in their work and will need to have the camera examined and repaired by someone competent, and would therefore like the camera back plus (say) 200 euros to cover your expenses and another X euros for a replacement screen. Copy this to your local Chamber of Commerce (Syndicat d'Initiative in French -- sorry, don't know the German) and to any trade organization to which the repairer belongs, and wait for their reaction.

To echo what the others have said, yes, you can change screens on a 500C and I'm pretty sure I changed the screen on mine. As I sold it a quarter of a century ago, I don't remember: I think I recall doing it, but I can't think why I'd have done it.

Cheers,

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin