Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,861   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same decision when I was buying RB-67 gear. The 50mm is what I bought because I figured I could always crop a 65mm view out of a 50mm view but not the other way around.

I practice I have never done this crop. The 50mm has its own look and tells me where to stand so the picture looks right.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the responses. I should have asked about this in my first post, but what about distortion when using the 50mm, is it a factor in doing landscape stuff? I mean, to the extent that one can do landscapes with the RB, will the 50mm show any barrel distortion that is unpleasant in the final print?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Chuck,

You might want to call Keh and check the condition of the 50mm lens they have in their "As Is" section. It is advertised as "DEPTH OF FIELD PREVIEW INOPERATIVE". If you can live with that, go for it, as the price is only $84. You might even be able to buy both lenses (they also have a $265 "bargain" 65mm lens)...

Cheers,

Sebastien

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I should have asked about this in my first post, but what about distortion when using the 50mm, is it a factor in doing landscape stuff? I mean, to the extent that one can do landscapes with the RB, will the 50mm show any barrel distortion that is unpleasant in the final print?
    Hello Chuck. Yours is a very good point indeed and, notwithstanding what another poster said in a previous post, the 50mm shows indeed some barrel distortion.

I'd say, however, that in landscape use the amount of distortion shown is absolutely not significant. It becomes a bit evident in street photography, where buildings framed towards the corners of the image can be not exactly "straight" under some conditions. It is, however, a minimal effect, which has to be expected in such a wide angle as a 50mm is for 6x7 format.

To give you a thumb rule: if I would have known of the amount of distortion that the 50mm shows BEFORE buying it, I would have purchased it none the less. Enough said...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    I'm looking for opinions on which of these two lenses you
    think would best round out my MF RB system. Chuck
    The 65 will cover 100% more acreage than the 90.
    From 65 on up the RB series lenses have a 1.4 multiple;
    65, 90, 127, 180, 250, and so on. Each step up halves the
    acreage. The 65 is in line with what many years ago was
    termed a 'landscape lens'. Plenty wide for me. Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I, too, have had the 90 and 180, and was considering the choice between the 50 or 65. From all my personal research, it appears that the 65 has more edge- to- edge sharpness than the 50. Maybe a big deal, maybe not. If this is true, it doesn't matter if you're shooting flowers or Ferraris, most of us want knife-sharp results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I have that dillema too 50 or 65... Beside that, as I have only 127mm currently, what is beeter choice 180mm or 250mm.

Saying that, is 150mm SF any good?

Thanks
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
    Chuck,

You might want to call Keh and check the condition of the 50mm lens they have in their "As Is" section. It is advertised as "DEPTH OF FIELD PREVIEW INOPERATIVE". If you can live with that, go for it, as the price is only $84. You might even be able to buy both lenses (they also have a $265 "bargain" 65mm lens)...

Cheers,

Sebastien
    That lens has an "Ugly" condition rating. I've purchased "Bargan" condition from KEH and have been satisfied with those purchases. Has anyone gotten anything rated "Ugly" ?

Thanks, Jim

I love digital! It made my MF affordable, well almost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwing8 View Post
    That lens has an "Ugly" condition rating. I've purchased "Bargan" condition from KEH and have been satisfied with those purchases. Has anyone gotten anything rated "Ugly" ?

Thanks, Jim

I love digital! It made my MF affordable, well almost.
    KEH's definition of Ugly:

"Ugly" Very rough looking. Multiple impressions in metal, excessive finish loss and brassing are likely. Glass will have marks, fungus or haze that will probably affect picture quality.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. Sure you could send it back to them if you didn't like it, but you're paying for shipping 3 ways if you go that route (original shipping, back to KEH and then shipping again for the replacement lens). I've gotten very good condition items of Bargain grade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can always ask them what condition it really is in.

I've gotten "bargain" grade stuff that you need to look very carefully to find any fault. I bought a backup ETRSI body for less then the cost of the replacement crank handle. Why was it bargain? Flip it over and you see a few light marks on the tripod plate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin