Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,327   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

For RB67 Users: 50mm or 65mm lens?

I'm looking for opinions on which of these two lenses you think would best round out my MF RB system. My other two lenses are the 90mm and a 180mm. I'm looking to purchase another lens but only have the funds for one, so what do others think?

Most of my subjects are more intimate, but I want to start trying to do more landscape type attempts, primarily clouds with and without a horizon (my daughter, who will be entering college in meterology, loves cloud formations, especially thunderstorm type clouds, so I want to give that type of photography a shot). I've never tried it with my other two lenses, but it seems like a more wideangle lens would be better. Also, I want the lens to be just as appropriate for more intimate subjects as well.

Am interested in comments from those that have used one or both of these lenses. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 65mm lens for my RB and I love it. Its my favorite lens. I also have a 90mm and 180mm. A good friend of mine has a 50mm lens for his RB and that one is his favorite. What I'm getting at is that it really is a matter of personal taste. For me the 50mm is a bit to wide and for my friend, the 65mm isn't wide enough.

One plus for my 65mm C lens is that I can focus on something just 3.5 inches away. It won't produce a 1:1 image, but it will produce a .72X life-size image.

Both are excellent lenses, though.
    Last edited by Travis Nunn; 03-04-2007 at 11:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chuck:

I, too, have an RB and had the 90 and 180 lenses initially. I wanted the 50, but it seemed too expensive, so I "compromised" on the 65. Then, of course, I found a 50 cheap enough within a couple of months of buying the 65, so I have both. :rolleyes:

The thing is, I should have known better, since I did the EXACT SAME THING years ago with the 55 and 65 for my Mamiya TLR.

Anyway, they are two different lenses! ("Obvious" alert.) It's like the difference in a 28mm and 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. All depends on the subject and need. I carry both lenses in the case with the RB, and they'll both get used. If I could only keep one, though, it would probably be the 50mm, since it is wider. I'm shooting a lot of buildings, inside and out. You can usually move a bit closer, but sometimes it is impossible to move any farther back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My preference is for the 50mm. I like wide.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    My preference is for the 50mm. I like wide.
    Me too. I have the 50mm and 90mm and I love the 50mm for its wide but not distorted view. I have not tried the 65mm though so I can't give an opinion on that.

I think I will get a 180mm next.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    My daughter, who will be entering college in meterology, loves cloud formations.

She may be interested in these eccentric types then: http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/

I'm a member.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both lenses. I agree with different uses statement. When I am against a wall the 50mm is the only one to use. The 65mm is excellent for every other use. I do like the wider view of the 50 but I still use the 65 when I have room to move around. Not really being helpfull.
    One thing, the 65 is about half a stop faster. If you do low light photography this might help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like cloud photography but wouldn't use a wide angle. Just not enough image size on the film. I think you should have it almost covered with what you have and add a wide for the closeup architectural type stuff or landscapes if that's your preferable view. My catalog compares the 50 to a 25mm lens and the 65 to a 32mm lens. For cloudscapes without a horizon I would not go under a 250mm lens which is compared to a 118mm lens in the 35mm realm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chuck, personal tastes apart (they are both good lenses), seen your current setup the 50mm makes much more sense from a mathematical point of view. Having the focal lenghts all in a serie multiplied by a constant factor (2x in your case) is always a good rule. I think you would find the 65mm to be too close to the 90mm and would regret not having purchased the 50mm.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was undecided when I came to buy a wide lens too and also had the 90mm and 180mm. In the end I went for the 50mm. I'm not a huge wide angle fan and use my 90mm most of the time for landscapes but when I need wide I need wide and the 50mm delivers that. The 65mm at somewhere around 35mm in 135 was neither here nor there for me and too close to the 90mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin