Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,644   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Linhof Technorama 612 vs. ALPA 12 for reportage hand-held?

I use a Linhof Master Technika for 4X5 hand-held reportage, but I would like a smaller dedicated camera for ultra wide angle shooting.

Since it is unlikely that Linhof will ever produce the Technar for hand-held 4X5 wide angle shooting, one must consider roll-film alternatives in current production.

Do any of you have any personal experience in using either the Linhof Technorama 612 II with a 58 mm lens or an ALPA 12 with a 48 mm Helvetar for hand held reportage?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post
    I use a Linhof Master Technika for 4X5 hand-held reportage, but I would like a smaller dedicated camera for ultra wide angle shooting.

Since it is unlikely that Linhof will ever produce the Technar for hand-held 4X5 wide angle shooting, one must consider roll-film alternatives in current production.

Do any of you have any personal experience in using either the Linhof Technorama 612 II with a 58 mm lens or an ALPA 12 with a 48 mm Helvetar for hand held reportage?
    Dear Henry,

Not those exact lenses, no, and I doubt you'll find many who have.

But I have used both Technoramas and Alpas (the latter with lenses from 35 to 58mm) and the Alpa is easier to hand-hold steadily and (because of the smaller format) holds the film flatter.

Both are superb cameras but for hand-held reportage the Alpa is the easy winner in my book.

Cheers,

R. (There are some ALPA reportage shots in the China gallery at www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Thanks

Thank-you very much for your feedback Roger, and thank-you for the wonderful examples of hand-held wide angle reportage.

Your China images really show what a great tool the ALPA 12 is for reportage.

Regards,
    Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at the Horseman SW612. It has a 45 and 35 available.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to support German and/or Swiss engineering and manufacturing at the source. I am not interested in Japanese or Chinese copies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are seriously after something to do wide angle 4x5 handheld shooting with why would you NOT consider the Fotoman 45PS???

Seems crazy not to consider it simply because it is manufactured in China.. unless ofcourse you are working for an EU trade organisation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Companies like Linhof are worth preserving, and hence they need to be supported.

I have an extensive 4X5 system based on a Linhof Master Technika Classic, almost all of which I bought new. I bought new for two reasons: (1) to do my part to ensure the continued existence of one of the world's great camera companies, the inventor of the technical field camera, and (2) because I was buying a system for life I wanted the very best.

Linhof has a long tradition of innovation and manufacturing without compromise. Many have copied them, but nobody has equaled them, and hence I am glad to continue to support them with my business.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post
    Companies like Linhof are worth preserving, and hence they need to be supported.

I have an extensive 4X5 system based on a Linhof Master Technika Classic, almost all of which I bought new. I bought new for two reasons: (1) to do my part to ensure the continued existence of one of the world's great camera companies, the inventor of the technical field camera, and (2) because I was buying a system for life I wanted the very best.

Linhof has a long tradition of innovation and manufacturing without compromise. Many have copied them, but nobody has equaled them, and hence I am glad to continue to support them with my business.

Dear Henry,

A noble sentiment. It's also true that while the various Chinese manufacturers are getting better, they are a long way from the standards set by Linhof and Alpa. There is simply more pleasure in using top-grade equipment.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Dear Henry,

certainly no one would argue with your statement... "Linhof has a long tradition of innovation and manufacturing without compromise. Many have copied them, but nobody has equaled them, and hence I am glad to continue to support them with my business."

I commend you for your sense of loyalty to both of these manufacturing icons.

I would also never to presume to say that we (Fotoman) have equaled either... as it has never been our intent.

I would suggest, however, that stability in handling is a key to superior results when shooting any camera hand held... and that having two large ergonomic handles goes a long way towards acheiving that goal. As does film flatness... one venue where we will challenge ANY manufacturer to provide flatter roll-film (6x9 or large) than that offered by our 612 camera.

By all means, do acquire a Technorama or Alpa 12, and help support Linhof or Alpa. But before buying a second lens, we would ask that you just give us a try. You might just be surprised, and you will be able to acquire both a 612 and a 45PS for the price of one additional lens assembly from either Linhof or Alpa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 612:A45PS.jpg  
    Last edited by fotoman; 03-11-2007 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add picture

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are some samples of reportage photography on the Alpa website.

http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=solutions/reportage

Regards
    Stephan
    Light chaser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin