Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,341   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Daventry Northamptonshire about as central as you can get.
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Newbie says Hello

Ladies and Gents

First post just wanted to say hello I can see already I am on a steep but very friendly learning curve!

Several months ago I decided I would like to take up photography as a principal hobby again after remembering the pleasure I got from my first 35mm SLR system (2xCanon A1's and a range of lenses). So having decided it had to be film or nothing I have been scouring all possible sources for something manual, quality and in nice condition.

Last week I saw a listing for a Yashica Mat 124G in "mint unused" condition. I decided to take a look even though I was feeling a little sceptical. It turns out it was absolutely untouched, as new, never had a single roll through it. I picked it up for £90 about $175. It is so nice even the wife said don't use it just put it in the display cabinet. Maybe she senses a bit of absenteeism on my part!

Well I have already aquired a light meter and some B/W Rollei filters B1 fitting are on the way from Germany. I am really looking foraward to using the camera I have been told Yashica Mats are a little soft at maxium apperture then at F8 they are fine is that right? Is the softness at F3.5 usable and effective in portraiture? I realise that the answer to my next question may already be on the forum but I am going out to buy stock in the morning what would be your reccomendation for a natural colour negative film for portraiture and a black and white film suitable for portraits using studio flash but equally suited to fine grain landscape work.

Thanks for your time looking forward to furthering my knowledge and sharing the journey.
    Regards Paul

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from New England! I don't know much about that camera...but I'm sure someone here does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome from (tonight at least) upstate New York where we are getting a hopefully finally wintry blast of snow. About 15 inches on the ground and still falling!

Congrats on the new-to-you Yashicamat and welcome back to film photography. Explain to your wife that cameras are made to be used and then use it to take a portrait of her. After all, any wife that would actually suggest just displaying a nice piece of gear (meaning you have to then get a "user" camera) is a "keeper"!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Paul

The Yashicamat is a great camera and so small and light (for an MF) that you'll never have an excuse for not carrying it! B&W recommendation would be Ilford and either Delta 100/400 or many prefer the look of FP4+/HP5 at similar speeds. Generally speaking, 2-3 stops down from max aperture should put you in the best performance area. Have fun getting used to that reversed image!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Paul. I had a Yashica Mat124g a few years ago. It will be a fun camera to use and learn on.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man you are in for a real treat. The first time I ran a roll of film through my Yashikamat I felt so uncertain if it actually even took the photo because the shutter is so quiet. It's a slight metalic zit then you crank and wonder if it even saw the light of day. BUTTT..... then you get your film souped and WOW! just overwhelms ya. That ear to ear grin hits ya big time and you just mutter under your breath, "that is one heck of a camera."

Before you take it out for a walk, just dry fire it to be sure it hasn't seized up from sitting on the shelf for so many years.

Have fun with it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheers Guys

I have ordered 20 rolls of ilford delta 100 today and 10 of ilford HP5. I have picked up a Weston Master V at a very reasonable price. Just itching to get out there now. Will post my first efforts soon.
    Regards Paul

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopite64 View Post
    Cheers Guys

I have ordered 20 rolls of ilford delta 100 today and 10 of ilford HP5. I have picked up a Weston Master V at a very reasonable price. Just itching to get out there now. Will post my first efforts soon.
    Dear Paul,

Best of luck & a belated welcome.

Do you read Amateur Photographer?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roger thanks for the welcome and I have just picked up the latest AP this morning and placed a regular order with my newsagent.

I have to agree with your sentiments (AP 17/3/07) on the importance of the physical existence of a photograph compared to images held in cyberspace. It is of course much easier to hit a delete button than to physically destroy something don't you think?

My challenge is going to be to flatter my four little darlings, so they treasure the images I present them and hopefully preserve and then ultimately pass them on.

Regards
    Regards Paul

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Paul,

Welcome!

Start with the HP5. That film is foolproof! Are you developing yourself? If not, consider doing so as it is easy and gives better results. Do consider getting yourself an enlarger as well! It opens up a whole new world. My laundry room functions as my darkroom.

Be sure your light meter is reasonably accurate. Compare against your 35mm SLR (if you still have it). Also I find that the older handheld light meters are sensitive to the angle when outdoors. Point it slightly down so that the brighter sky doesn't skew the reading. Shouldn't be a problem for anything indoors.

You YashicaMat will take fine pictures. I wouldn't worry to much about shooting wide open at f3.5. I started with a Yashica D...now my medium-format kit is a Mamiya C220 TLR.

Cheers!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin