Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 782

Thread: 501CM vs 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format

501CM vs 500CM

I've had a 500CM-based system for a few years. The body needs a service and I am trying to decide between that and spending a few hundred dollars on a 501CM. Apart from being a lot newer, and having the sliding mirror, are there any other differences?

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a pretty good rundown on the difference in features between the two on photoethnology.com (or something like that). - i just checked - crazy... the site doesn't seem to exist any more - nor does there seem to be ANY reference to it anywhere on the web...!! how nuts is that? Maybe I just imagined it....? anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Anyway - I SEEM to recall there was ONE other feature (minor) which was different - but can't seem to recall what it was. sorry.

The gliding mirror is great for telephoto lenses (longer ones) because it doesn't (apparently) vignette the way the 500C/M does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame the site you were thinking of sparky?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ahhhh.... photoethNOGRAPHY...!!! That would explain it..!

thanks.

so - maybe it IS just the mirror system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The minor difference you're talking about is probably the use of "palpas" coating in the 501CM that helps reducing reflections inside the body.

There are a few things, though, that the 500CM has and the 501CM doesn't. The winding crank on the 501CM is not removable like the one on the 500CM. Also, it doesn't have the shutter lock that the 500CM has.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin