Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,203   Online: 705

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford SFX filters

I am looking for a suitable filter to use with Ilford SFX.

Ilford's filter is unsuitable so if anyone has suggestions for a bay 60 or 100x100mm filter let me know.

A slight infra-red effect will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The filter is equivalent to a Wratten 89B (very dark red - almost opaque) so any filter that claims 89B compatibility will be fine.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Gary,

Look for a T50 (50 per cent transmission) of 710-720nm for strong infra-red effects, T50 of 695nm or so for more modest effects.

I always used 52mm filters in a 52-Bay60 adapter when I used Hasselblads -- but I had no wide-angles, so I don't knw what the effect would be there.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends what you mean by slight infrared effect.

To get "wood effect" with leaves going white, I've never been able to achieve it.

To get jet black skies and water and puffy white clouds, a Red # 25 will often give it under bright conditions, and a #29 is even better. I rate it at 100 speed, and adjust for the filter factor.

It's my favorite film by far for photographing old steel bridges, buildings, etc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would like to know why you mention that the Ilford filter is "unsuitable"?

thx
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gary,
    if you have a gel holder, I'm pretty certain I have a Wratten 89b in 125mm square.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Depends what you mean by slight infrared effect.

To get "wood effect" with leaves going white, I've never been able to achieve it.

To get jet black skies and water and puffy white clouds, a Red # 25 will often give it under bright conditions, and a #29 is even better. I rate it at 100 speed, and adjust for the filter factor.

It's my favorite film by far for photographing old steel bridges, buildings, etc.
    I could never get this wood effect with a red# 25 either but it can be done with a SFX filter as I have seen in the R Hicks and F Schultz book "Quality in Photography."

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I could never get this wood effect with a red# 25 either but it can be done with a SFX filter as I have seen in the R Hicks and F Schultz book "Quality in Photography."

pentaxuser
    ...at EI 6 to 12 (insofar as EIs mean anything with IR)

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of people go very far in cutting visible light component, but in my experience with Konica Infrared 750, I can get very good IR effect (with bright leaves) using an orange filter, which is easier if you use an SLR. (I personally prefer rangefinder or p&s for infrared.) This may not be the same with HIE or SFX, though.

I want to burn a lot of IR film in my panoramic camera so I'm in market for cheap IR film... to take place of Konica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's because Konica 750 had a hump in the middle, so it really didn't matter if you used an orange or a red filter. It was kind of an ortho + IR film. IIRC, Laurie White's "Infrared Photography Handbook" covered that. HIE was similar, simply because it's got so much IR sensitivity.

The IR film J&C announced was like 750, to the point where you could use a green safelight.

Alegedly (and I'm going to test this some over the weekend, assuming the second half of my recent Adorama order comes through) Efke IR820, Rollei IR, and SFX all don't play like that. The new Rollei IR film may be more like HIE and Konica, which would be awful nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin