Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 866
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Kopite64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Daventry Northamptonshire about as central as you can get.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    23

    Giottos Italian Tripods anybody used or got one?

    Morning

    There are a number of these Giotto tripods available on e-bay at the moment (MT9160, 9170 and 9180) they look very sturdy and flexible. Before I take the plunge and part with my readies has anybody got any experience of this brand? Do they perform as good as they look?

    Thanks.
    Regards Paul


    "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

    Ansel Adams

  2. #2
    eclarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Berlin, Wi
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    1,955
    Images
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopite64 View Post
    Morning

    There are a number of these Giotto tripods available on e-bay at the moment (MT9160, 9170 and 9180) they look very sturdy and flexible. Before I take the plunge and part with my readies has anybody got any experience of this brand? Do they perform as good as they look?

    Thanks.

    Hi,
    Italian sounding name, but I believe they are made in China..Evan Clarke

  3. #3
    KenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    800
    Hmmm, I think it says 'Made in Italy' on my 3540XLS....

    PS: see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/3...-3540-xls.html
    Cheers!

    -klm.

  4. #4
    Bob F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,984
    Images
    19
    Giottos (not Gitzo) is indeed Chinese: head office in Taipei and manufacturing in Shenzhen. That does not mean they are not good, just not Italian - I own a Shen Hao and it is great! www.giottos.com - go to About us.

    Sorry, no experience with the tripods.

    Cheers, Bob.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Italia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,680
    Yes China.

    I have the older 9180? I think thats the model number. I could check if anybody really cares. I know mine is no longer current and a newer model is currently being sold by the company.

    For the price I paid [$150ish US???] it's just fine. If you spend more money you can get better tripods. But when I was looking anything similar from Manfrotto etc was at least 2X the price.

    Mine easily handles a 15lb 8x10 plus lens. OTOH with the big cameras I never extend all four sections and the centre column stays down.

    If you intend to use the centre column at an angle bit remember your high school science. You are creating a big lever.

  6. #6
    KenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Giottos (not Gitzo) is indeed Chinese: head office in Taipei and manufacturing in Shenzhen. That does not mean they are not good, just not Italian - I own a Shen Hao and it is great! www.giottos.com - go to About us.

    Sorry, no experience with the tripods.

    Cheers, Bob.
    D'oh! I saw Gitzo....my mistake.
    Cheers!

    -klm.

  7. #7
    Bob F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,984
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    D'oh! I saw Gitzo....my mistake.
    I suspect it is no coincidence that the Chinese manufacturer chose a name that is so similar to "Gitzo"...

    Last I heard, (a couple of years ago) both Gitzo and Manfrotto were owned by the same British company that owns Calumet, but Gitzo as you say are made in Italy (and Manfrotto in France I think).

    Cheers, Bob.

  8. #8
    naturephoto1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Breinigsville, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,819
    Images
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I suspect it is no coincidence that the Chinese manufacturer chose a name that is so similar to "Gitzo"...

    Last I heard, (a couple of years ago) both Gitzo and Manfrotto were owned by the same British company that owns Calumet, but Gitzo as you say are made in Italy (and Manfrotto in France I think).

    Cheers, Bob.
    Hi Bob,

    Same parent company owns Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Bogen. Gitzo is a French company and Manfrotto an Italian company. However, I am not sure if the Gitzos are now made in France or Italy. As I understand it, Gitzo and Manfrotto are now sharing research.

    Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

  9. #9
    Bob F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,984
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Bob,

    Same parent company owns Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Bogen. Gitzo is a French company and Manfrotto an Italian company. However, I am not sure if the Gitzos are now made in France or Italy. As I understand it, Gitzo and Manfrotto are now sharing research.

    Rich
    Whoops: got Manfrotto and Gitzo mixed around! Typical! I read that Manfrotto bought Gitzo (or possibly the other way around!) and then the UK company bought the combined company... Phew, now me head hurts...

    Cheers, Bob.

  10. #10
    guissimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    116
    Images
    6
    I have the MT9160 with a Velbon 2-way pan head and I use it with my Pentax 645, the school's RB67 with a 180mm lens and at some point with a Contax RTSIII and a 200mm lens. So far, the tripod has provided the support I needed on all kinds of surfaces like sand, rocks, shallow streams and even mud. I have also use it in windy conditions along the California northern coast, but I had to tie some rocks to feel a bit more confident I really can't complain about performance, however, I find the twist-lock legs rather annoying. I got mine sometime in 2005 from B&H at a very nice price. While I have access to my school's heavier more expensive Bogen tripods, for my gear and the photography I do I prefer the lighter Giottos. Oh, yes, they are made in China just like most of our clothes, shoes, toys, electronic devices...
    -g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin