Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,585   Online: 904

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    George,

I have a Mamiyaflex C330 that I inherited from my father. It includes a 65mm, 80mm and a 250mm lenses. There is a similar system with a 180mm lens that has be advertized in the APUG Classifieds for $600. I also have a Paraminder which is a devise that moves the Mamiyaflex 5 cm up on a tripod so that the focal plane sees exactly what the viewing lens saw.

Comments:
    1. I consider it part of my fitness program.
    2. It is the Crocodile Dundee of TLR - "Thats not a camera, THIS is a camera."
    It never fails to bring out comments every time it take it out. [search this site for C330 comments.]
    3. Yes because of its lack of automation and human engineering, I cannot take photos with it as fast as I do with my Nikon and autofocus zoom lens.

- .-. -.-- .. - --..-- -.-- --- ..- .-- .. .-.. .-.. .--. .. -.- . .. - .-.-.-

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, you've just hit one of my favorite topics, this might be a good reason for us to hook up for a cup of coffee -- I work on Broadway at 47th Street. Aren't you close by?

In a word: Rolleiflex. Yes, you can get one that is less than 20 years old -- they have been in continuous production since 1929 -- but the best Rolleiflexes were made in the 1950s and 1960s. So long as they have not been mistreated, they will outlive you.

If you want, I can bring a few to work one day and let you play around with them. If you want to buy, I enthusiastically recommend Ken Hansen, a legendary camera seller here in the city. Ken closed his shop a few years ago, but he still trades in Rolleiflexes out of his apartment on the upper East side. Ken sends out all cameras for service before reselling them, has Maxwell bright screens installed for superior framing and focusing, and warrants his cameras. You'll pay more than KEH, but you'll get a better camera and the peace of mind of being able to return it uptown to Ken if anything goes wrong with it. Ken's email address: KHPNY19@aol.com.

These are addictive little cameras. Serge Gainsbourg sang about them! Do it.

Sanders

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    George,

I have a Mamiyaflex C330 that I inherited from my father. It includes a 65mm, 80mm and a 250mm lenses. There is a similar system with a 180mm lens that has be advertized in the APUG Classifieds for $600. I also have a Paraminder which is a devise that moves the Mamiyaflex 5 cm up on a tripod so that the focal plane sees exactly what the viewing lens saw.

Comments:
    1. I consider it part of my fitness program.
    2. It is the Crocodile Dundee of TLR - "Thats not a camera, THIS is a camera."
    It never fails to bring out comments every time it take it out. [search this site for C330 comments.]
    3. Yes because of its lack of automation and human engineering, I cannot take photos with it as fast as I do with my Nikon and autofocus zoom lens.

- .-. -.-- .. - --..-- -.-- --- ..- .-- .. .-.. .-.. .--. .. -.- . .. - .-.-.-

Steve

- .... .- -. -.- ... . .-. --- .-. - .... . .- -.. ...- .. -.-. . .-.-.-

- .. -- . .-- .. .-.. .-.. - . .-.. .-.. .- .- .-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George:

All lawyers should have Mamiya C series TLRs .

I was a student working in a camera store in the late 1970s when I bought my C330, with the standard 80mm 2.8 (black) lens.

I (and a legion of other photographers too) have shot lots of weddings with it - and if you can shoot weddings you can shoot anything with a camera (unless you need movements).

I've had my camera and lenses serviced once since then (admittedly, I acquired the other three lenses [55mm, 65mm and 135mm] at various times, in the years since). That service was preventative only, not because of any current problems.

Four or five years ago, I found, and my wife and some friends gave me as a birthday present, a used Mamiya C220 body as well. It was and is in mint condition. It was ridiculously cheap, and it was purchased from a store, with a warranty!

The cameras and lenses are relatively simple, and anyone who can service manual cameras, can most likely service them. Even Mamiya still services many of them.

In recent months, I've been playing more with my Mamiya 645 SLRs, but the TLRs are patient.

You can carry a body and three lenses in a very small camera case (for MF).

If you use flash, the leaf shutters in every lens are wonderful.

The C330 series is better for fast action (e.g. weddings) because the film advance and shutter cocking processes are interconnected, but the C220 is lighter, slightly smaller, and simpler.

If you look at my gallery photos, the photo of the "ropes" was shot with my C220. I was able to take it, two lenses, a small flash and some film with me that day in a camera bag that is probably too small to use with a Nikon F5.

If you want to know more, Graham Patterson's website (he posts regularly on APUG) is a great resource:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html

Personally, I use a prism finder a lot (it's better for handheld use at weddings) but it certainly isn't necessary, and the waistlevel finder on either body is a wonderful combination.

As for parallax, it really doesn't matter much, unless you are shooting at close distances. I have two paramenders - the accessory developed by Mamiya to deal with the problem - the first is an old, simple one, usable on any tripod, while the second is a rare one - a Mamiya tripod head, with paramender built in.

Sanders (who of course is a lawyer too ) is right - the Rollieflexes are wonderful cameras, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a Tele Rollieflex as well as the standard model. Personally, however, I prefer the option of the interchangeable lenses.

if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Due to a sudden change in my economic situation after a surprising find on ebay, I'm considering selling my C3. With 65, 80 and 180mm (? can't remember, will check this weekend when I get home) lenses. It's a heavy beast, so postage will cost a bit. But it's going cheap.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Having now entered into the MF world via the SLR route - I'm now considering trying a TLR.

if this is even possible, uses interchangeable lenses for different focal lenght options.

Can you help me, please?
    If you still own a MF-SLR I'd much recommend reconsidering the need of interchangeable lenses. A Mamiya C as the only camera, though bulky, is a fine system. But you already own large and bulky MF-gear do you? OTOH the charm of a Rolleflex, Yashica or whatever other Rollei-clone is, that you can take it with ease literally everywhere.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Like Brian, I prefer the Rolleicord over the Rolleiflex for its simplicity. i.e. no self cocking shutter combined with wind on to go wrong. If you want to change lenses though, the Mamiya C series is really the only way to go. My father has a C330 but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (I mean use it!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C2xx / C3xx

After a quick look at the reactions so far, I believe what I'm about to say has been said already. I'll keep it short.

Interchangeable lenses on a TLR means Mamiya C3/C3xx/C2xx. I didn't even *know* this when I bought my Mamiya C3, but I'm very happy with my choice. Some say it's heavy. But as I don't have another TLR to compare it with, I don't know better I have the C3 with standard 80mm and additionally the 65mm lens (curious what Ole is going to sell, maybe I can get another lens. Well, they always come in pairs...)

It's one nice beast!

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My introduction to MF was with my Yashicamat 124. Although I have had an SLR since, I found that I liked the operation of the TLR and discovered that square negs are fine too. The fixed lens of the Yash is a bit of a limitation, so I bought a user C220 and a collection of lenses. In one of life's little ironies, after weeks selecting the C220 I was offered a C330f in near mint condition and snapped it up. The system is excellent and quite cheap. The later models can be in very good condition with many years left in them. I found that I frequently lost where I was up to with the C220 exposures as this is wound and cocked separately, the C330 winds and cocks itself so is a little harder for me to mess up. These will also do nice macro work, they just need a little care to deal with the parallax error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree with Sanders, if you can afford a Rolleiflex.... go for it! It's not so much about the lenses as the Mamiya, Yashica and Minolta ( I have all three) have great lenses, but the focussing screen. The standard Rollei has a much better screen than the "cords and you can replace them with Beatie screens.
    I can also see peoples point in recommending the 'Cord as they are pure simplicity and very reliable, just check the screen before buying to see if it's ok for you.
    The earlier Mamiyas had issues with the film transport as did the Yashicas. The best Mamiyas are the C330 or 330s, the problem seemed to be solved.
    My favourite non German TLR is the Minolta Autocord, nicely engineered and great optics.

Tony

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin