Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,172   Online: 844

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    And just to throw another wrench onto the pile... If you really need that wide and long lens. You can get a .07 Mutar and a 1.5 Mutar to fix onto the front of the best TLR. The Rolleiflex. It would still be lighter than a Mamiya outfit.
    That may be true about the Mutars, but they are rare and unless things have changed recently rather expensive.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other than a quiet shutter, the Mamiya won't offer anything that a MF SLR doesn't.
    I have a C330f outfit which I am thoroughly pleased with. It is my 'serious' camera which I always go for if anyone wants me to photograph anything important for them. Bomb proof, rugged, reliable and it didn't cost much!There is a massive range of accesories, too, and it all comes very cheap these days

I feel the TLR does have one big advantage over an SLR, apart from quietness.

When you click the shutter, the screen doesn't blank - not even for a fraction of second. When taking portraits or pictures of kids this is invaluable. Your brain is able to match up the click of the shutter to the image in the viewfinder. The point is, if the subject blinks or looks away, I always know because at the point I hear the click the very image that the film is exposed to also registers in my head vision, if you see what I mean.

I have never felt this confidence with an SLR, no matter how fast the mirror moves or returns.

Just my humble observation.

Steve
    Last edited by steven_e007; 03-22-2007 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot the quote

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    About all I really know to ask at this point is that I'd like a model that isn't more than about 20 years old and, if this is even possible, uses interchangeable lenses for different focal lenght options.
    I faced the same decision about a year ago. I was looking for a TLR and didn't have a clue which way to go. I opted for a Mamiya C220 mainly because I liked the idea of interchangeable lenses. I now on the 65mm, 80mm and 105mm lenses, all whch have proven to be good picture takers. I also really appreciate the quiet shutter and the fact there's no mirror blackout when I press the shutter. This camera and my Leica are my main cameras.

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides Mamiya TLRs have interchangeable lenses, they have interchangeable shutter's too. if shutter goes south, change the lens. Convenient.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    The one essential piece of information that none of us bothered to ask of you is: What do you want to shoot with the camera?

Sanders
    Sanders,

Thanks for bringing up this question because it does force me to think more about the TLR option.

The funny thing to me is that, what little I know of TLRs is that I think of them as portrait cameras, and I'm not usually much of a people-shooter. So it's kind of counter-intuitive for me to even have a curiousity about this type of camera. [Although it may explain my "fixation" on interchangeable lenses - since that, to my mind, expands the "usages" of such a camera.]

What's also confusing is how hard it is to learn much about TLRs. I have several books on medium format that I purchased before and after getting the Hassey - and although they "mention" TLRs - they tend to treat them as obsolete and provide little info.

Maybe the better way to phrase my question is to ask: "Given that you use Medium Format - When and Why would you choose a TLR over an SLR/RF?"

BTW: Helen, I liked your comment about "multiple bodies = interchangeable lenses" and the idea of trying out a couple of Rolleis. Thanks for the offer. I may well take you up on it.

Overall, now that I have the Hassey here and the Bronica in Tucson, I do want to increase my shooting in medium format (heck, I just ordered a Nikon 9000ED so I can scan the negs etc.) and think a TLR might be enjoyable to have around as another tool in the format.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Like Brian, I prefer the Rolleicord over the Rolleiflex for its simplicity. i.e. no self cocking shutter combined with wind on to go wrong.

Steve.
    I agree. I have an old Rolleicord IV that I "inherited"...and I love the simplicity and elegance of the Rolleicord. It's also a bit of challenge to work within the limitations of the fixed lens set up, but I find that it's a good challenge. The lens is incredibly sharp.

The other thing is that a Rolleicord will cost you a lot less to start off with than a 'flex.

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Maybe the better way to phrase my question is to ask: "Given that you use Medium Format - When and Why would you choose a TLR over an SLR/RF?"
    Where noise is an issue, the TLR is silent.

For portraiture, there is no lag for a mirror to get out of the way and you can see the subject's expression at the instant the shutter fires, and know whether you got the shot.

The smaller size and waist level finder is often less intimidating and more discreet.

It can be hand held, or braced against a table or other object, to allow slower shutter speed than an SLR.

It's lighter and easier to carry all day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I choose a twin lens because I don't have a MF slr or rf! I'd love to have the Mamiya 7ii, but I'd choose the C330 for portraits and close-ups (the parallax issue isn't that much of a detriment for me).

K.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The C330 is a brick, no denying it. However, I've seen a web-page somewhere or other claiming that a three-lens outfit weighs-in lighter than a comparable three-lens 6x6 SLR outfit.

My own reason for going for it was financial - I couldn't find a cheaper way to get a good quality 6x6 with decent interchangeable glass.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My own reason for going for it was financial - I couldn't find a cheaper way to get a good quality 6x6 with decent interchangeable glass.
    There is no cheaper way to interchangeable lens MF than the Mamiya C220, and it has quite good lenses - stepped down 2-3 steps they are very good, but not quite up to Zeiss lenses' resolution or contrast. But that is a rather marginal issue IMHO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin