Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,626   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

My first Rolleiflex...

I just won a Rolleiflex GX 2.8. Any tips before I run my first role of film?

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Learn how to move to the right when the moving object you see in the viewfinder is moving left.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Remember to thread the film leader underneath the first roller!

And have lots of fun!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Learn how to move to the right when the moving object you see in the viewfinder is moving left.
    The first time I held my Rolleicord and panned, I almost fell over from dizziness. Years later it seems perfectly natural.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Remember to thread the film leader underneath the first roller!Vaughn
    Only the first roller! The first time I loaded mine I went under the first roller, and the second, and the third.... It didn't work so well.

Jonathan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by light leak View Post
    Only the first roller! The first time I loaded mine I went under the first roller, and the second, and the third.... It didn't work so well.

Jonathan
    I had an advanced student (a Rollei TLR user) help out in a photoclass one time. He "helped" another student load a loaner Yashica TLR -- and put the film under the first roller. What a scratched mess of film that was, LOL!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not positive, but I don't think the GX has the film detection feature using the first roller. They went to the "line up the arrows" method with this model. Too much difference in film thicknesses, they said. Rollei's are great cameras, lots of fun and super image makers, hope you enjoy it!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My Rollei TLR guide does not indicate the film detection feature is missing on the GX. There is no self timer on the GX. Use a hand meter and consider using a tripod. Use of the neck strap will help stabilize the camera. Don't give up on the Rollei if it feels awkward, you get use to it. With B&W film the Rollei makes exceptional images which 135 film can not match. I printed recently shot Rollei negatives last week and now find it hard to consider enlarging my Leica negatives.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pick up the appropriate close up filters for it because sooner or later you will definitely need them. Other than that enjoy the camera, and shoot lots of film! I have two R's and never use them. Don't be like me.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excerpted from this review:
    http://www.photographical.net/rolleiflex_gx.html

"Apart from the added TTL light meter and TTL flash meter there are some other changes compared to the F model (I'm comparing to the F model here, because that was the latest model produced prior to the GX).
    The automatic film-detection or film load has been removed - you now have to roll the film all the way to the arrows."

Small loss. Have fun, MF rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin