Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,929   Posts: 1,522,165   Online: 1025

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Mamiya 7 light curtain crank

I recently bought a used Mamiya 7 in immaculate condition except for the little key on the bottom that is used for closing the light curtain to permit changing lenses. It's flimsy plastic, and mine is broken. It's still usable, just, and I've no doubt I can get it replaced by a repairman.

I'm wondering though, if anyone knows a third-party supplier who makes those out of metal that would be more rugged than the one that comes with the camera. Surely I'm not the first person to have this problem.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/ as they work on Mamiyas.

Bob

Images
    I had to order a crank for my M7 a while back. I just ordered from the company that represents Mamiya parts, out of NY. They were helpful about how to change it and I did it myself. Only thing I've ever broken on that camera.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    I had to order a crank for my M7 a while back. I just ordered from the company that represents Mamiya parts, out of NY. They were helpful about how to change it and I did it myself. Only thing I've ever broken on that camera.
    Thanks, do you remember which company or division you contacted? I expect they get a lot of requests for the part. For how rugged the rest of the camera is, it's surprising they made that little crank so flimsy.

Larry

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    Can you describe how to do this?
    Thanks
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    Can you describe how to do this?
    Thanks
    I ordered it from these guys:

http://www.mamiya.com/customerservice.asp?id=3&id2=105

That little rubber thing on top had popped off, but it is just glued on. Take that off. Then, remove the screw, which is a left hand thread. Replace the crank and reassemble. I didn't use any loctite here. The rubber thing on top is glued on with a contact cement and there was enough of this to keep the screw in place.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Surely I'm not the first person to have this problem."

You're certainly not. I've just broken mine for the second time in about three years and I have no doubt that it is just not very strong. Mamiyas UK service dept- run by their agent- was most discouraging about self repair and indicated their usual high fees for looking at it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hello,

I let you know that I make spare brass levers to replace the flimsy plastic crank for closing the light shield curtain.
    If you ever need one just let me know!
    all the best
    Paolo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin