Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,545   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

First MF experience

Hi All,

Very new to this forum and film in general. I have numerous 35mm rangefinders ... mostly Leica ... but bought a Super Ikonta 6x4.5 a few weeks ago and used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is WOW! Scanned images in this size are very different to 35mm ... the detail and tonality are something else! The camera was a hoot to use and I never new taking a mere sixteen images on one film could be so intense. So much to do with the separate winding on of the film and cocking of the shutter not to mention the rather dim view through the viewfinder and challenging rangefinder due to it's age ... and the age of my eyes I should mention also!

I think I need a 6x9 now! :o

Kodak T-max 100

Images
    Good Morning, Keith,

Welcome from southwestern Illinois. Keep it up; 4 x 5 may be just around the corner.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Konical's not kidding. After a time in MF, you'll start wondering, and next thing you know you'll have spent $150 on a 4x5 press camera or similar.

It's not a bad process, really.... and each step you'll be dazzled as you are above.

Nice pics. They'll also get better with time. The fully-manual aspect of the MF stuff has forced me to really think about light, improving my 35mm shooting in the process too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes,

Your 645 may seem fine now, but......ALL formats are great. Horses for courses. Youll still come back to 35mm but I know what you mean, small 120 cameras are the dogs.

I use 35mm, 645 and LF (with 120 backs (6x9). The large formats are sonderful to print but sometimes I cry out for the spontaneity and fun of the smaller formats and find it unusual to say "if only I had used a bigger format" as half the time it just does not matter from teh point of view that i the image looks great, it looks great and another format may have meant not being able to get light onto film.

I adore my Bronica RF645 and will eventually get round to posting some more shots when I return to the UK and can scan some.....but it cannot do close portaits on the move like my 35mm can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DOF control is different too

As you have noticed, MF lets you take control of DOF, or maybe I should say, it controls you, in ways that never crop up in 35mm. You will soon be very aware what selective in focus photos are practical that never would have been tried in 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Keith,

Welcome aboard.

I started up with MF about six-months ago. Still climbing the learning curve (and the Northern Hemisphere winter did get in the way) but enjoying it very much.

I still also shoot 35mm - and have now been known to now carry at least two cameras everywhere!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you're ready for that 6x9 I highly recommend the Fuji GW690 (any edition). They are simple, well built, and while they don't have too many features (no double exposure, no built in meter, and non-interchangeable lenses) I have found the image quality and handling to be amazing. Not a bad price either.

- Rob

PS: The guys are right... you'll be looking for a 4x5 in no time.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What's really cool is how they look on the enlarger. They are so much easier to work with and you can actually crop without losing sharpness. I will never understand why I was so dumb all those years sticking to 35mm. I love this stuff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your responses all ... I loved the process of using my Super Ikonta. There's something about taking photographs with a camera that was made seventy years ago that feels special and you really have to think about what you're doing. I suspect I will get a 6x9 and the Fuji has crossed my mind but I would also like an old folder to mess with as well ... maybe another Ikonta of the same era. They're like vintage cars ... tricky to drive but very rewarding! I was surprised that there still seems to be plenty of choices for film ... what would be a good colour film for taking shots in a semi rainforest environment. I do a lot of bushwalking in our local area and 35mm photographs dissapoint me constantly!

This following photo, for example, was taken with a little Rollei 35 on my last adventure with cheap Fuji Superia ... I can only imagine how it would look with MF and some decent film!

Last edited by Keith Novak; 03-28-2007 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Novak View Post
    what would be a good colour film for taking shots in a semi rainforest environment. I do a lot of bushwalking in our local area and 35mm photographs dissapoint me constantly!
    Give Kodak 160VC or 400VC a try. Both will give you nice bright colors and are readily available in 120. If you can find it Optima 100 is one of my favorite color films for landscape but obviously it's rare now. I almost forgot... Reala will probably be your best bet if you prefer natural colors over the ultra bright VCs.
    Last edited by thedarkroomstudios; 03-28-2007 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot about Reala... d'oh
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin