Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,037   Online: 990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Light, compact, inexpensive tripod

I am looking for recomendations for a light, preferably compact, and inexpensive tripod to use on an upcoming trip. This is for use with a Mamiya 7so it doesn't have to be rock solid. I already have a good tripod for LF, so I don't want to spring for a CF Gitzo or equivalent.

I read the following review of the Velbon Luxi max. It sounds promising. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this tripod or if there is another light one they would recommend.

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/tripods/tripods.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Manfrotto 058 in the studio and when I need maximum support, and a Manfrotto 055 for when I need something lighter. Recently I wanted a tripod to carry on a bicycle and was thus willing to compromise some rigidity to get a 4-section model. I bought a Manfrotto 719B (which I think has now been superseded bya 724?) and have been quite pleased with this.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A lot depends on what you regad as 'inexpensive'. Both the Slik Snapman and Velbon Maxi 343 are very light -- about 1 kg each -- and compact but cost around $100: a lot more than comoparably specified tripods of inferior build quality. My wife and I use them with Alpas (the MF ones) so the Mamiya 7 should be fine. Used, the old MPP lightweight is hard to beat but it's not compact even though it weighs little more than the Slik and Velbon and will (just) support 4x5. They go for maybe GBP 20 each.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I use a Manfrotto 058 in the studio and when I need maximum support, and a Manfrotto 055 for when I need something lighter. Recently I wanted a tripod to carry on a bicycle and was thus willing to compromise some rigidity to get a 4-section model. I bought a Manfrotto 719B (which I think has now been superseded bya 724?) and have been quite pleased with this.

Regards,

David
    Ditto except for the latter
    I first bought the 058 but found it to heavy for lugging around so I purchased the 055 which I use for about everything from 35mm macro to 6X7 (Pentax) closeups and landscapes. I wonder though whether it will be adequate when I finally get that 5X7
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm curious why you don't just use the one you have. If it is a CF tripod, it probably weighs the same as any cheap one you are likely to buy.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent choice, gentlemen! My 055s been going strong since about 1984!! I'll use it for just about anything except 4x5 (though it COULD, technically, support most, lighter, 4x5s somewhat).

Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Ditto except for the latter
    I first bought the 058 but found it to heavy for lugging around so I purchased the 055 which I use for about everything from 35mm macro to 6X7 (Pentax) closeups and landscapes. I wonder though whether it will be adequate when I finally get that 5X7
    Kind regards
    Søren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

tripod

I recently bought a slik tripod made of magnesium and some carbon for around $100. I have it in a different place or I would post the model number. (I will post the exact model number next week.) The quick release is not the greatest in the world but it is strong and light. I'm using my 4x5 Wista on it. Highly reccommended!!! For the money it is a GREAT tripod ....
    Best, Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've just bought a 055MF3 for LF use.

It has no problems with any of my 4x5" or 5x7" cameras - and if I use a larger camera than that, I'll put the big wooden tripod in the car along with the camera.

Most LF cameras are easy to "balance" over the attachment point, and there's no SLR mirror causing vibrations. They actually demand less from a tripod than a MF SLR does!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I'm curious why you don't just use the one you have. If it is a CF tripod, it probably weighs the same as any cheap one you are likely to buy.
    On this trip I will be shooting mostly handheld, so I want something shorter than 20 inches and less than 1kg that will sit in my daypack, ready for the occasional use.

I have a Gitzo 1227; the weight is tolerable, but it's too long for a day pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using a sturdy as hell Giottos with a pan/tilt all for around $150.
    It's great but heavy as rocks! I always have it extended and carry it sideways over my shoulder haha, thank god for the cushions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin